How to cook rice in your multi cooker or instant pot. Hands off, quick and perfect rice every time!
Out of all the things I use my multi cooker for, rice is one of my favourites. Back in the day I had a rice cooker that I could never get the hang of so I stuck with my tried and true way of cooking it on the stove.
Once I got my multi cooker, I thought I'd give rice another try and I'm SO happy I did! Perfect rice everytime that can be put on and ignored.
No more gluggy overcooked rice, no more boiling the pot dry, just the perfect rice to go along side your dinner.
The trick to cooking perfect rice in the multi cooker or instant pot is rinsing the rice first. This is essential! It removes some of the starch from the rice which is what makes it go gluggy. I just place the rice in a sieve and rinse it under the tap for 30 seconds or so, then place the rinsed rice in the pot.
Once you've rinsed the rice, add the water and a pinch of salt and you're away! Set the valve to the sealed position, use the rice/risotto setting set for 6 minutes on low pressure and it's done! Once cooked, the cooker will keep the rice warm until you are ready to eat which is one of my favorite things about it.
Other multi cooker/instant pot recipes to try:
- Multi cooker hard boiled eggs
- Multi cooker shredded chipotle chicken
- How to cook a whole pumpkin in the multi cooker
- Multi cooker stewed apples
SHOP THE RECIPE
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Kiwi Country Girl.
Here are some items I used to make this recipe:
CrockPot Multi Cooker| Strainer | Measuring cups
Multi Cooker Rice
- Multi Cooker/Instant Pot
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 ½ cups water
- Pinch salt
- Pour the rice into a mesh strainer/sieve and rinse under the cold tap for a minute or so or until the water starts to run clear.
- Add the rinsed rice, water and a pinch of salt in the multi cooker, close the lid, set the valve to sealed position and select "rice/risotto" setting.
- Set the time for 6 minutes on low pressure and press start.
- Once cooking time is finished, allow the pressure to naturally release. Stir and serve