This easy, cheesy one pan mince pasta is going to be your new go-to quick weeknight meal. 30 minutes from start to finish and everything (including the pasta) is cooked in one pan!
I have to tell you, I am seriously considering not ever posting another dinner recipe on this blog ever again. We are so outright obsessed with this cheesy one pan mince pasta that I am struggling to think how I am going to top this.
Not only is it the ultimate comfort food situation, it also wins ALL the prizes for being speedy, cost efficient, easy to cook and ONE PAN!! We have been eating this at least once a week for the last couple of months and it’s got to the point where I don’t even erase it from the blackboard meal planner because it has well and truly earned a permanent spot there.
This recipe was originally going to be a mince pasta bake – it’s such a classic family meal. But then I remembered that I hate doing dishes and knew that there had to be a way to avoid the frying pan + pasta pot + baked on cheese in the oven dish situation. Lightbulb. Throw the uncooked pasta into the mince when you add the sauce ingredients, cover up and let it do it’s thing.
It’s a miracle. The pasta cooks PERFECTLY in the sauce. I am never cooking pasta in a pot ever again.
Click here to pin this post to your easy dinners recipes board on Pinterest to save it for later
The key is adding extra liquid to the sauce. A tin of tomatoes + a cup and a half of beef stock is the perfect amount – enough to cook the pasta and make a super delicious sauce. That’s what I actually like about this over pasta bake – no risk of it drying out.
And if you think that you’ll miss the melty cheesy goodness that comes with pasta bake, fear not. Once the pasta has cooked, throw liberal handfuls of your favourite grated cheese on top and cover it for another couple of minutes. The melty cheese that ensues will convert you if nothing else does.
Even better, if you have a cast iron pan, throw it under the grill for a couple of minutes instead to get the cheese golden.
This cheesy one pan mince pasta is:
- Cheap to make
- Ready in 30 minutes
- Packed full of flavour
- Saving you dishes
- An epic melty cheese meal
It ticks every single dinner time box!
It’s kid friendly, farmer friendly and hungry mama friendly. What more do you need?
More easy dinner ideas:
Made this? Tag me on Instagram @thekiwicountrygirl and hashtag it #thekiwicountrygirl.
Cheesy One Pan Mince Pasta
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed or finely chopped)
- 500 grams beef mince (ground beef)
- 1x 400 gram tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1 Tablespoon dried mixed herbs
- 1 Tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups dried penne pasta
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese (or any other cheese)
- You will need a large frying pan with a lid for this recipe. If you don't have a pan with a lid, you can use tinfoil to cover it instead.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes until fragrant. Add the beef mince/ground beef and brown (about 5 minutes)
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, beef stock, mixed herbs & worcestershire sauce and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium/low, add the pasta and stir to combine. Cover and allow to cook for 15 minutes, stirring once during cooking.
- After 15 minutes, remove the lid and check that the pasta is cooked. If it needs, cook for an extra couple of minutes.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top and cover again for a further 2 minutes until the cheese has melted. If you have used an oven proof (e.g. cast iron) pan you can put it under the grill to melt the cheese if you would prefer.
- Take the pan off the heat and serve immediately!