Healthy Mocha Energy Bites – a quick easy & healthy snack made with walnuts, rolled oats and coffee and without dates! Easy to make, easier to eat and the perfect afternoon pick me up!
Can I admit something to you? I’m a bit sick of dates. I love the idea of recipes being made healthy but I find that a lot of the time, the dates totally take over and actually leave you feeling like you’ve eaten something way more sickly than a real life salted caramel cupcake and wishing you’d just gone for that option. Anyone else?
And while we’re having a bit of a rant session (just me?) I am still a little lost on the whole bliss ball thing. Not the concept, just the name. It’s very deceptive! I mean, no offense to bliss balls but my idea of bliss certainly isn’t a mixture of nuts and dried fruit masquerading as dessert. Bliss is a piece of creamy no bake peanut butter cup cheesecake bars and a glass of wine with the kids at the grandparents, am I right??
But in the name of trying to have a bit of balance and not just eating an entire pan of Raspberry & White Chocolate Blondies (not even sorry about this one) I will buy into the sugar free healthy snack options occasionally.
But with rules.
1. No dates.
2. They will not be called bliss balls.
3. They will involve coffee because we are parents now and coffee has become more than just a nice drink on the weekend, it is now a way of life…the way to life…you know, that thing that transforms you from zombie mum to semi functioning human being.
So to recap we will call them mocha energy bites and fill them with delicious ingredients such as coffee and no dates and the world will be a better place.
Click here to pin this post to your healthy snack recipes board to save it for later and follow The Kiwi Country Girl on Pinterest for more great recipes!
And fitting in nicely with rule number 3, not only do they contain the perfect amount of caffeinated goodness in the form of instant coffee granules, they are also easy enough to make before your second cup of coffee.
Not your first because we don’t do anything before that one. Don’t be crazy.
Throw all ingredients in the food processor. Blitz them up until the dough comes together. Press into a lined slice tin or roll into balls. Put in the fridge and eat. All of them. Because they’re healthy!
Other healthy snack ideas:
And if you are feeling so virtuous that you’ve made delicious healthy treats and you feel like you deserve an actual treat, melt some chocolate and coconut oil together and spread it on the slice or dip the balls in it.
Like I said, it’s all about balance!
Mocha Energy Bites
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 Tablespoons instant coffee powder
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil (melted)
- 2-3 teaspoons water
- 100 grams dark chocolate
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- Add all slice ingredients to the bowl of a food processor and blitz together until a dough starts to form. Add more water if necessary.
- Tip into a lined 20cm x 20cm (8" x 8") square brownie tin lined with baking paper and press down firmly. Set aside. (See note 1 for instructions on making into balls instead)
- Melt the dark chocolate & coconut oil in a medium sized microwave bowl for about 1 minute, stirring every 30 seconds, until melted and smooth. Alternatively, you can do this using the double boiler method on the stove.
- Pour over the slice and smooth out. Place the slice in the fridge to set for 30 minutes. Cut into slices and enjoy!
- Store in the fridge for 1 week.