This super easy and delicious shredded chipotle chicken is perfect for tacos, enchiladas or on a salad. It can be made in the multi cooker, instant pot or the slow cooker and freezes really well for meal prep!
If you told me there was only one recipe I could make forever and ever, it would quite possibly be this shredded chipotle chicken.
Spicy but not too spicy (as in my 2 year old will eat it), packed full of flavour, less than 10 minutes prep time, hands off cooking and freezable! What more do you want?
Click here to pin this post to your easy dinners board on Pinterest to save it for later
The whole recipe centres around the chipotle sauce. If you have never used chipotle chilis in a recipe before, prepare to be amazed! These guys pack a huge flavour punch without being too hot.
The sauce is so simple – add all ingredients (only 5 of them if you have a batch of Homemade Burrito Spice Mix made up) to a food processor and blitz until smooth. Add it into the multi cooker, instant pot or slow cooker along with the chicken and cook until the chicken falls apart.
One of the things I love the most about this shredded chipotle chicken is how versatile it is! Once you’ve made it, you have multiple dinner options. Make chicken enchiladas, serve it in tacos, chicken nachos, on a salad, in a quesadilla or even just in buns with coleslaw.
Can I cook this in the slow cooker?
Yes, absolutely. I prefer to cook it in the multi cooker/instant pot as it’s SO fast but cook for a few hours in the slow cooker and it will be just as good.
How do you freeze this meal?
I cook the chicken and shred it as per the instructions and then allow to cool to room temperature before putting in a sandwich size snaplock bag or freezer container. Remove as much air as you can and I also like to flatten the contents in the bag – this is much better for storage and it helps it thaw out faster.
Can I prepare this and freeze it uncooked?
Yes! Make the sauce as per the instructions and then add the raw chicken breasts to the snaplock bag along with the sauce, remove as much air as you can and then freeze. Thaw in the fridge overnight and then cook according to the instructions.
Other great freezable meals:
SHOP THE RECIPE
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Kiwi Country Girl.
Here are some items I used to make this recipe:
CrockPot Multi Cooker| Mini Food Processor
Shredded Chipotle Chicken (multi cooker/instant pot or slow cooker)
- Multi Cooker/Instant Pot
- 400 grams chicken breasts
- 1 x 400 gram tin chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 onion (peeled)
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 1 Tablespoon Burrito Spice Mix (see notes)
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
Make the sauce
- Add all sauce ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
Cook the chicken
- Place chicken breasts in the multi cooker/instant pot and pour the sauce over top. Make sure the valve is in the sealed position and select the "pressure cook" or "manual" setting. Set the time for 15 minutes (high pressure) and start. Once cooked, manually release the pressure, remove the chicken breasts, shred using 2 forks and stir through the sauce.To cook in the slow cooker, add the chicken breasts and sauce to the slow cooker and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-6 hours or until chicken is cooked through and can be shredded.
- This chicken is perfect in tacos or enchiladas or quesadillas or on a salad
- Allow the chicken to cool and then place in a snaplock bag or freezer proof container with the date and contents written on. Remove as much air from the bag as possible and freeze flat (better for storing and defrosting faster). Store in the freezer for up to 6 months.