The best ever zucchini muffins with chocolate chips - simple to make, moist muffins that freeze well making them perfect for lunchboxes!
Well, we are late to the "drowning in a glut of zucchini" party but you'd better believe we are finally here! Also, I have 2 kids now so to be fair, it's pretty much a given that I'm going to be late to any party!
Remember when I shared my Granny's recipe for zucchini bread last year? You guys LOVE that bread (not surprised) so I figured, why not try it out in muffin form?
It's such a perfect recipe that I only made a couple of minor changes. I cut down the sugar to make them more breakfast friendly and then added chocolate chips to cancel that out!
I used dark chocolate chips because they are my favourite and I love how they go with the zucchini, but milk chocolate would be fine too. They're great in the muffins and I love adding more to the top before baking for extra chocolate flavour!
Tips for making perfect muffins
- Don't overmix the batter! Fold the dry ingredients through until just mixed - a few flour lumps are fine
- Whisk the dry i
- Use room temperature ingredients - this helps the batter come together
- Use an ice cream scoop to scoop the batter into the liners - this makes the muffins even sizes and is a great way to get small kids to help!
Just like my other muffin recipes, these freeze really well. Simply pop them in a large snaplock bag in the freezer, ready to pull out and pop straight into the lunchbox!
Although the rate we've been getting through these muffins, I'll be surprised if any make it to the freezer!
Other muffin recipes to try:
- Double Chocolate Muffins
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Spiced Apple Muffins
- Raspberry & White Chocolate Muffins
- Crunchy Top Blueberry Muffins
SHOP THE RECIPE
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Kiwi Country Girl.
Here are some items I used to make this recipe:
Measuring cups and spoons| Pyrex mixing bowls | Muffin tin | Ice cream scoop
Zucchini Muffins with Chocolate Chips
- 1 ¾ cups (245g) flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup oil (canola, vegetable, coconut)
- 1 ½ cups (250g/about 1 large zucchini) grated zucchini
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips (plus extras for sprinkling on top)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F and line a 12 count muffin tin with paper cases or spray with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon & salt and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk the eggs. Add the sugar, vanilla, oil and zucchini and combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold through the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin tins and top each muffin with extra chocolate chips. Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the muffin comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tins for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 5 days.
- These muffins also freeze well in a freezer proof container or a large snaplock bag.