An absolute Kiwi classic and such a delicious family friendly dinner! This mince and cheese pie recipe will be your new favourite.
For the longest time, if Josh requested a mince pie for dinner, I’d just cook up some mince, throw a few herbs in and put it in some pastry. Nothing wrong with that, but being a Kiwi (and after getting a few requests for pie recipes!) I thought it was time I upped my mince and cheese pie game.
So I got to work, and what I have come up with is probably going to be your new go to pie recipe!
The mince filling is packed full of flavour – browned mince featuring a pretty good list of ingredients, but all essential to making this the most delicious pie filling out there. I’ve also added a carrot in there to up the veggie content of the pie – feel free to leave this out if you are going for more of a petrol station pie!
Roll out your pastry for the bottom – ready made or try making your own!
Add the filling, top with plenty of cheese – I just used slices of the block we had in the fridge, so use your favourite.
Pop the lid on top, prick a few holes in with a fork and brush with an egg wash and then bake for about 40 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and cooked all the way through.
We love serving this pie for dinner with mashed potato and peas but they would also make perfect mini pies made in muffin tins – just bake them for a little bit less time.
Mince and Cheese Pie
- 350 grams puff pastry
- 8 slices cheese (colby, edam, tasty, cheddar)
- 1/2 onion (finely diced)
- 1 carrot (optional, finely diced)
- 500 grams beef mince
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon marmite
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornflour mixed with 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg whisked with 1 teaspoon milk
- Heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a medium frying pan over a medium heat. Cook onions and carrot for 5 minutes until soft. Add garlic and mince and brown (about 5 minutes).
- Add all remaining pie filling ingredients, except cornflour and water, stir to combine and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir through the cornflour slurry and cook for a further 2 or 3 minutes until the gravy thickens.
- Roll out 2/3 of the pastry to fit a 20-23cm round pie dish. Line the bottom of the dish with the pastry, fill with the mince filling and top with the cheese slices. Roll out the remaining pastry to fit the top of the pie and place on top, sealing the edges with your fingers or a fork.
- Prick holes in the pastry using a fork and brush with egg wash. Bake at 180°C/250°F for 40 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve immediately and store leftovers in the fridge for 4 days.