A simple tutorial showing you how to make puff pastry at home! This "rough puff pastry" is ready in 15 minutes and is the most delicious, buttery flaky homemade puff pastry you've ever tried!
Don't run away...pastry is not scary, I promise!! And once you can make puff (or flaky) pastry your dessert options are endless!!
This homemade puff pastry is more of a "rough puff" as inspired by Clotilde. As in, same idea, less fussing around. My kinda pastry!
But don't think that because we're not mucking around with chilling between folding and rolling we are sacrificing any of the magic that is puff pastry. This pastry is just as good, if not better than any other puff pastry I've had. And in 15 minutes! Seriously.
The only important thing you need to know is that the ingredients need to be cold. Butter straight from the fridge, and icy cold water. This help keep the butter in pieces, rather than melting during the pastry making process which is what gives you that flaky pastry when it bakes.
Add flour, salt & cold butter to a bowl and using a pastry blender (or 2 knives) cut it together until the butter is no bigger than peas.
Make a hole in the centre and pour in the ice cold water. Tip: to make sure the water is icy cold, measure ⅓ cup of water into a 1 cup measure. Top it up with ice cubes, stir it around, pour out ⅓ cup of icy cold water and use that.
Mix it together and shape it into a rough square. On a well floured surface, roll the dough out into a rectangle about 25-30cm long.
Fold up the bottom third
Then fold over the top third, like a letter!
Make a quarter turn
And roll it out again! Repeat this process 6 or 7 times - the pastry will become smoother each time. This process is creating layers within the pastry that will give you the flaky texture that you want.
And the end result? Pastry that is smooth and buttery and ready for you to make anything you dream up, sweet or savoury!
And nothing beats the feeling of accomplishment from making pastry from scratch!
Keep tuned for a recipe using this pastry later this week...what a tease!! But spoiler alert - it involves blueberries & lemon curd...yuuuuum!!
Recipe adapted slightly from Clotilde
15 minute Homemade Puff Pastry
- 1 cup (140 grams) flour
- 140 grams cold butter
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup ice cold water * see note 1
- In a medium bowl, add the flour and salt. Mix together.
- Cut the butter into cubes and add it to the flour. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut the butter into the dough until the butter is in pieces the size of peas. The dough will be quite crumbly.
- Make a hole in the center of the dough and pour in all of the water. Stir to combine the dough.
- Add the dough to a floured surface and pat it into a rough square. You will still be able to see pieces of butter and the dough may seem quite dry but it will come together with each roll.
- Flour the rolling pin, and roll the dough out into a rectangle about 25-30cm long.
- Fold the bottom third of the dough over the middle of the dough. Fold the upper third of the dough on top of the middle too. Rotate the dough one-quarter turn, roll out again, and repeat the folding pattern. Use flour as needed to stop the dough from sticking.
- Roll out, fold, and turn the dough at least 6 or 7 times.
- When done, wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour, or overnight. At this point you may freeze the dough.
- Roll out with flour when you are ready to use the pastry.