Crunchy Top Blueberry Muffins - my favourite master muffin base full of juicy blueberries, cinnamon and a crunchy sugary top - muffin perfection!
So I had zero motivation to bake this weekend. Zilch. Zip. Nada. I was perfectly happy sitting on the couch watching Charlotte's Web on Sky Movies Family. But then I suddenly felt like blueberry muffins, or more specifically crunchy top blueberry muffins. And suddenly the motivation came back and within 40 minutes I was back on the couch with muffin in hand. That's Sunday baking at it's finest!
But what did you guys do this weekend? Bake anything exciting? We went all the way to Auckland to look for a coffee table after trawling through every single shop in our town last weekend without success, and ended up buying the first one we saw! It's perfect! So we have finally replaced our glass top table that looks like it shot straight out of the 70's with a beautiful wooden coffee table - with little draws so that we can keep it tidy! We are soooo adult right now! I've even been using coasters. Whaaaat?
Then Josh had to work today so it looked like I had a day at home all alone but then my Mumma came to visit! It was so nice, we sat and talked and ate pumpkin soup & toast because it was miserable outside and admired my new coffee table. Plus she helped me finish off my wedding thank you cards...7 months later....
Blueberry muffins are most definitely my favourite. They're sweet, full of my favourite berry and a little bit spicy thanks to a hit of cinnamon both in the muffin and in the crunchy topping. And the crunchy topping = the best part! All it requires is sprinkling a little bit of raw sugar and cinnamon on top of the muffins before baking and it makes them next level!
Like all muffins, mixing the batter requires a light hand. You only want to mix it until most of the flour is incorporated - too much mixing gives you a dense muffin - not what we are after.
This recipe is adapted from my other favourite raspberry & lemon curd muffins - only difference is the addition of cinnamon & blueberries in place of raspberries and lemon curd. And of course the crunchy raw sugar & cinnamon topping. Perfect for spring!
Crunchy Top Blueberry Muffins
- 2 cups 280g flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup plain yoghurt
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries fresh or frozen
- 2 TBSP raw sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and grease a muffin tin or line with paper cases.
- Add dry ingredients to a medium sized mixing bowl and whisk together until combined.
- In a small bowl whisk together milk, yoghurt, egg, oil & vanilla.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients in. Mix together gently until barely combined. Add blueberries and fold in gently. DON’T overmix the batter – a few small lumps are fine.
- Evenly distribute the batter between the 12 prepared muffin tins.
- Bake at 180 degrees C for 25-30 minutes until the tops are starting to brown or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to sit in the muffin tins for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container for 5 days or freeze.