Mini Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins - perfect for lunchboxes and little hands, these mini muffins are packed full of banana chocolate goodness!
Oh my gosh, frustrations of country living at their finest have happened this week.
Our internet, which is bad at the best of times has for some reason just decided to stop working on my laptop. My phone is fine, my tablet is fine, just not my computer. I have no idea if it's the internet or the laptop, but it's super frustrating, because I rely on my laptop for so many things! So I'm stealing Josh's when he's not here, editing the photos on mine because that's where Photoshop is, putting them on a USB!!! and plugging it into Josh's again.
Also, the power went off the other night (yay summer) which meant that the alarm clock didn't go off because we are super old school and have a plug in alarm clock (omg who are we?) Luckily this baby carrying body woke up to go to the bathroom 10 minutes before I usually leave for work. Seriously.
So luckily for me on that super rushed-throw on a dress-put on mascara by torchlight-race out the door morning, I was able to grab a couple of these perfect little Mini Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins on my way out the door to curb my insatiable appetite until I could get to work and make something decent - granola, yoghurt & blueberries thrown into a jar on the way out the door - another perfect little timesaver!
These muffins remind me so much of my childhood. Both regular size and mini banana chocolate chip muffins were on regular rotation in Mum's baking calendar. They are the perfect way of using up those old bananas and are just the most delicious sort of comforting home baking. And while I love the Banana Nut Muffins that this recipe is based off, there is something about the combo of banana and chocolate that makes my little 5 year old self sing.
They are super soft, every bite is full of flavour and they keep really well during the week. They also freeze super well, making them perfect to grab and go on the way out the door as they take no time to defrost. But the best thing about mini muffins - they're small enough that you can eat 5 and not feel guilty, because that is practically just 1 muffin. Right?
This batch makes 36 mini muffins or 12 regular sized muffins if you would prefer. Mini muffin tins come in either 12 or 24 count pans - 12 count pans are easier to find and much cheaper, but I picked up my 24 count pan from Pak'n'Save for about $12 so keep an eye out for them! It makes mini muffin making super quick & easy. Otherwise, it's helpful to have two 12 count pans.
Perfect for lunchboxes, perfect for little hands to hold onto, these Mini Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are pretty much just perfect!
Mini Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 ½ cups mashed banana (about 3 or 4 bananas)
- ⅓ cup (75g) butter (melted)
- ¾ cup (160g) sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups (210g) flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- Line a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray or paper cases. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (356°F).
- Mash bananas in a medium sized mixing bowl, add the melted butter and combine.
- Mix in sugar, egg & vanilla.
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt to the wet ingredients and start to mix together.
- Add the chocolate chips and fold together until only just combined. A few floury lumps is perfect.
- Spoon into a greased 24 count mini muffin pan, filling them right to the top.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean and they are starting to go golden brown on top. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the tin and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container or freeze.