Sweet banana muffins filled with crunchy walnuts...the perfect morning tea treat!
I've never really been a Starbucks girl. Cold drinks yes, hot drinks, not so much. But when we went to Vegas a couple of years ago and our hotel gave us Starbucks money for our breakfast I subsisted on Starbucks for 5 days. That, Ben & Jerry's and $1 frozen margarita slushies from the weird tropical looking bar next door to our hotel. Take me baaaack!
I definitely became a
lonely Starbucks lover. Mostly because they had all the fall flavours...pumpkin spice latte mmmm. But the best thing about it was the banana nut muffins I had for breakfast every morning. ohhhhhh mg. I died and went to muffin heaven.
When I was a kid, banana chocolate chip muffins were my mum's specialty but I had never thought to add walnuts to them. Well thank yoooou Starbucks because these are officially my new favourite.
The banana keeps the muffins nice and um...moist (sorry, sorry, sorry) and the walnuts give them a beautiful crunch in every bite. Perfect for texture lovers like myself, but debatable if you are Josh and you "were just expecting a soft muffin". Sorry Josh.
Just like most muffins they can be thrown together in 10 minutes and without needing to use a mixer. Just a bowl and a spatula. Make sure that the bananas you use are either nice and brown or have been in the freezer. And if you are thawing them out, make sure you get them all the way back to room temperature so that all the ingredients incorporate together easily.
And don't forget the golden rule of muffin making...DON'T OVERMIX!! It seems like such a silly rule but seriously, 1 extra stir can take your muffins from soft to stodgy, and nobody likes a stodgy muffin. So even if there are a few little lumps of flour left...leave it!
They're the perfect mid-morning snack or even as a breakfast on the go. Especially with a PSL! Plus they freeze really so you can make a big batch and have snacks ready to pull out any time!
Banana Nut Muffins
- 1 & ¾ cups mashed banana about 3 or 4 bananas
- ⅓ cup butter melted (75 grams)
- ¾ cup sugar 160 grams
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups flour 210 grams
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Line a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray or paper cases. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C (356 degrees F).
- Mash bananas in a medium sized mixing bowl, add the melted butter and combine.
- Mix in sugar, egg & vanilla.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt and whisk together. Add to the wet ingredients and start to mix together.
- Add the walnuts and fold together until only just combined. A few floury lumps is perfect.
- Spoon into lined muffin tins filling them right to the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean and they are starting to go golden brown on top.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the tin and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container or freeze.