These bacon and egg breakfast muffins are quick and easy to make, freeze really well and are perfect for preparing for busy times of year or for easy hand held meals for new mums!
Sometimes I make a recipe and then wonder why it's taken me so much of my life to get to the point where I make them. Like freezer bacon & egg breakfast muffins...they're so genius!
It's super easy to make 8 (or more) at a time and throw them in the freezer, ready to pull out for a quick breakfast or lunch on the go! The whole process only takes around 40 minutes so it's time well spent in my opinion!
Here's how it's done:
- Whisk together the eggs with a little bit of milk and salt & pepper. Pour into an oven dish and bake for about 12 minutes or until the eggs are set
- Put the bacon on an oven tray and bake for 10-12 minutes until cooked to your liking
- Grill the muffins for 10 minutes or until golden brown
- Assemble the muffins - bottom half, mayo, egg, cheese, bacon, top half of the muffin
- Wrap in tinfoil, place on a baking tray and freeze!
How do you reheat the muffins?
You have a few options here.
- Take the muffin out of the freezer, leave it wrapped in tinfoil and put it in the oven or in the sandwich press until heated through - this can take up to 30 minutes
- Unwrap the muffin and microwave it until it is heated through - this takes around 5 minutes
- Remove the muffins from the freezer the night before and allow to thaw in the fridge, then heat in the sandwich press or oven for 10 minutes or until heated through.
We have reheated the muffins all of these ways and our preferred method is defrosting them in the fridge the night and warming them in the oven as it gets them nice and toasty but doesn't take too long!
These freezer breakfast muffins are the perfect option if you live too far away from the golden arches to get a quick weekend breakfast and also make a great one handed snack for new mums!
Made this recipe? Tag me on Instagram @thekiwicountrygirl and hashtag it #thekiwicountrygirl.
Bacon and Egg Breakfast Muffins (Freezer Meal Prep)
- 8 English muffins
- 8 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- Salt & pepper
- 4 large rashers of bacon
- 8 cheese slices
- Heat the oven to 180°C/350°F
- Whisk together the eggs, milk and salt & pepper. Pour into an oven proof dish, around 30cm x 20cm in size and bake for 12 minutes or until the eggs have set. Allow to cool before slicing into 8 pieces.
- Place rashers of bacon on a baking tray lined with a silicone liner or baking paper and bake for 10-12 minutes until cooked to your liking. Allow to cool and slice the rashers in half.
- Turn up the oven to 200°C/392°F on the grill setting. Cut the muffins in half and place on a baking tray and grill for 10 minutes until golden brown. You may also use the toaster for this step. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before assembling the muffins.
To assemble the muffins
- Spread mayonnaise on the bottom half of the muffins then add a slice of egg, a slice of cheese, bacon and finish with the top half of the muffin.
- Wrap in tinfoil and freeze for up to 3 months.
To re heat the muffins
- Take the muffin out of the freezer, leave it wrapped in tinfoil and put it in the oven at 200°C or in the sandwich press until heated through - around 30 minutes
- Unwrap the muffin and microwave it until it is heated through - around 5 minutes
- Remove the muffins from the freezer the night before and allow to thaw in the fridge, then heat in the sandwich press or oven at 200°C for 10 minutes or until heated through.