Mixed up in one bowl, this healthy and filling mixed berry baked oatmeal is perfect for make ahead breakfasts or slice and take as a bar in your lunchbox!
DISCLOSURE: This post is a paid partnership with Countdown Supermarkets. All content and opinions are my own.
I was challenged by Countdown NZ to come up with an easy winter recipe featuring 5x ingredients from their Great Price range. I was super excited, especially when I saw the list of ingredients:
- Rolled oats
- Frozen mixed berries
I was inspired by a number of suggestions on what to make and landed on a delicious mixed berry baked oatmeal. I wanted to make a winter warmer breakfast and I wanted one that doubles as a snack for morning or afternoon tea which is exactly what this recipe is.
I always notice that there are a number of things that add up to make winter some of the more expensive months in our household and I’m sure it’s the same for a number of other families. That’s why I like to shop the Great Price range at Countdown because a lot of my pantry stables are set at lower prices all through the winter months.
I also know that mornings can be a real pressure point for a lot of families and the great thing is, this baked oatmeal can be made in advance, ready to heat and eat in the morning.
Loaded with rolled oats, mixed berries, raisins and lemon zest and topped with crunchy walnuts, this baked oatmeal is going to be your new favourite way to start the day. The list of ingredients also includes maple syrup, cinnamon and eggs, meaning this breakfast includes all the essentials for a healthy breakfast or mid morning snack!
All the ingredients are mixed together, then baked for 25 minutes until just set. Serve warm with yoghurt for a delicious breakfast or allow to cool and slice into bars to pop in the lunchbox. You can add any extras that you like, or even mix the flavours up to suit your family – I bet an apple and cinnamon version would be delicious too!
You can even individually wrap slices and freeze them, ready to be pulled out of the freezer, warmed and eaten as a quick breakfast.
Mixed Berry Baked Oatmeal
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 50 grams butter (melted)
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- ½ cup raisins
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 cup walnuts (chopped)
- Heat the oven to 180°C and spray a 20cm square oven dish with cooking spray. You can use a larger dish for thinner bars, you will just need to bake for a few minutes less.
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, maple syrup and melted butter until combined. Add rolled oats, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, mixed berries, raisins and lemon zest and combine.
- Pour into the prepared oven dish and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until just set in the middle.
- Serve warm with yoghurt and extra mixed berries or allow to cool and serve in bars. Store in the fridge. Slices can also be individually wrapped and frozen for up 6 months.