Small batch chocolate cupcakes – for those times you really feel like a chocolate cupcake but don’t
want need 12!
I’m not usually one to celebrate Valentine’s Day…I kind of think it’s a bit of a Hallmark holiday and that you should do nice things for each other all the time, not just on one day of the year buuuut I’m feeling a little extra loved up this year. May have something to do with the fact that this time last week I was getting ready to get married!
I’ll go into the whole amazingness that was our wedding day later when we have our photos back but for now, let’s talk chocolate cupcakes of the small batch variety!
I can’t even count the number of times I have had a proper hankering for a cupcake but the thought of lugging out the mixer, remembering to take butter out of the fridge to soften and making a huge batch of frosting is just way too much to deal with. This sweet recipe makes 4 cupcakes with no mixer required and in 30 minutes you have just the right number of little delights to satisfy that sweet tooth.
Even though I am a huge advocate for always using butter, I opted for oil in this recipe. The cocoa and vanilla extract sing through loud enough that you don’t miss the flavour of the butter and the oil plays a key part in keeping the cupcakes from drying out. Plus, the lack of butter makes for a much speedier process – no softening or creaming of the butter necessary!
Whip together the frosting, pipe it or even just spread it on, cover the cupcakes in sprinkles or edible glitter if you’re feeling fancy and you have 4 perfect little treats.
Click here to pin this post to your cupcakes recipes board to save it for later and follow The Kiwi Country Girl on Pinterest for more great recipes!
And there might even be one left to share with someone special!
Happy Valentine’s Day!
More cupcake recipes for you to try:
Made these? Tag me on Instagram @thekiwicountrygirl and hashtag it #thekiwicountrygirl. And if you tried and loved this recipe, please leave a comment and a rating below!
Small Batch Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1/4 cup (35g) flour
- 2 TBSP cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup (50g) brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 2 TBSP oil
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 TBSP milk
- 3/4 cup icing sugar
- 15 g butter
- 2 TBSP cocoa powder
- 1-1.5 TBSP milk
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar and salt.
- Add remaining egg, oil, vanilla and milk and mix well until combined.
- Spoon into 4 cupcake liners and bake at 180°C/350°F for 12-14 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Transfer the cupcakes to a cooling rack and while the cupcakes are cooling prepare the frosting.
- Sift icing sugar and cocoa powder into a small bowl with the softened butter and milk. Mix well until combined adding more milk if necessary until it is the right consistency for frosting.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled completely, frost and decorate them with sprinkles or edible glitter.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days.