Oven baked BBQ pork ribs using my homemade dry rub recipe. They are slow cooked in the oven for 3 hours before being smothered in a made from scratch BBQ sauce, making them melt in your mouth delicious!
Remember how you were under strict instructions to make a batch of my homemade BBQ Spice Rub earlier in the week to prepare you for something epic? Well, the time has come, so if you missed the memo, RUN! Go and make the spice mix because you are not going to want to miss out on making these oven baked BBQ Pork Ribs today!
These are the ribs that I harped on about a few days ago. The ones that I had been making for almost a year before I really nailed the recipe. This is it. Because obviously I wouldn't let you make subpar ribs - Josh doesn't let me make subpar ribs!
Click here to pin this post to your easy dinners recipes board on Pinterest to save it for later
If you have a meat loving husband (or anyone in your life) be prepared to start making these ribs on the regular. If we weren't already married, I can guarantee these ribs are what would have sealed the deal! Josh requests ribs about once a week and obviously I go along with that because I love them just as much as he does.
Not only are these oven baked BBQ pork ribs completely delicious, they really are a breeze to make. For a meal that is so tasty and ribs that just melt in your mouth, there is surprisingly little effort involved.
Rub the ribs all over with your homemade BBQ spice rub and wrap the rib racks in tinfoil. You can also just cover the dish they are in with foil, but the key is having them covered.
Cook low and slow - have the oven at 150°C and cook for 3 hours. Then about 15 minutes before you are ready to eat, unwrap the ribs (leave them sitting on the tinfoil) and use a pastry brush to either coat them in BBQ sauce or baste them with the juices from the pan before cooking them uncovered for another 15 minutes.
I usually cook 2 racks of ribs and do one BBQ and leave one without. I love them with BBQ sauce, Josh prefers the dry rub. This way, we both win!
That's it! A huge 5 minutes of prep time and then let them do their thing in the oven until you're ready to eat!
That's what I call cooking!
You can brush the ribs with your favourite BBQ sauce, but I have included a recipe for the one I make. It only takes an extra 10 minutes and is well worth it!
What to serve with this:
Don't have ribs? Try my BBQ Pork Strips
Made this? Tag me on Instagram @thekiwicountrygirl and hashtag it #thekiwicountrygirl.
Oven Baked BBQ Pork Ribs
- 1 kilogram (2.2lb) pork spare ribs (the ones I get usually come as 500g pieces (about 1lb))
- ½ cup BBQ spice rub
- ½ cup BBQ sauce (your favourite brand or see recipe below to make your own)
- 1x 410 gram tin tomato puree
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon worchestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon BBQ spice rub
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/300°F.
- Sprinkle the BBQ spice rub all over the rib racks and rub into the meat using your hands making sure to coat the ribs evenly. Wrap the racks of ribs in tinfoil, or place them in a baking dish and cover in tinfoil and bake for around 3 hours. They will be ready after 2 & ½ hours but the extra 30 minutes makes them fall apart which is what you want.
- Remove from the oven 15 minutes before you want to serve them and uncover or unwrap.
- For dry ribs: Use a pastry brush to baste the ribs with the cooking juices from the pan. Cook for a further 15 minutes.
- For BBQ ribs: Use a pastry brush to baste the ribs with BBQ sauce. Cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately with extra BBQ sauce and lots of paper towels!
- Add all ingredients to a small pot and bring to the boil, stirring occassionally. Once the sauce comes to the boil, let it simmer for 5 minutes until thickened. Set aside until ready to brush on the ribs or serve as a dipping sauce. Sauce will keep in the fridge for a few weeks.