This weekend got me all excited for summer. We had a little bit of actual sun peeping through the clouds (this is following about 8 weeks of non stop rain, bar 1 or 2 random days) and we finally put to use the wood fired pizza oven! I am so ready for it to be warm. I’m ready for lazy days sitting outside in shorts & singlets, drinking ice cold beer, watching Sage & Tilly run around and cooking delicious pizzas outdoors. Come on summer! There are only a couple more months of cold to go and then we are there.
The idea of summer & eating outdoors got me thinking about the ever important and sometimes overlooked side dish. Dinners in our house are usually focused on the main attraction and often it’s a last minute panic along the lines of “what am I going to serve with this!”
These garlic, herb & parmesan fried potatoes are the side dish you never knew you needed in your life. They are the one that will be the “go-to” for potluck dinners, summer BBQ’s and winter roast accompaniments. They are simple, full of flavour and are the perfect way to use up those leftover boiled potatoes.
And the good news is, leave those potato skins on! Because 1. nobody likes peeling potatoes and 2. The skins are actually the best part! They get super crispy and delicious and some of them fall off the actual potato and you end up with a pan of crispy potato skins and you could probably forget about the rest of the potatoes and just eat the skins and be happy because potato skins are lyyyyyfe. And I’m pretty sure someone told me that most of the nutrients hide out in the skins so being lazy becomes legit. Win.
If you have leftover boiled potatoes in the fridge (the panicked last minute side dish from 2 nights ago) then you are in the money. Cold potatoes slice up really easily into cubes and are ready to go. If you are starting from scratch, cut the potatoes into even sized pieces and boil until just cooked and then cool down by running under cold water and then cutting into cubes.
Add the butter and garlic to the pan and get the cooking going and then add the potatoes, salt & herbs and let them cook away until they are as crispy as you like. A few minutes before they’re done, add some grated Parmesan and let that get all melty and crunchy and then serve them up!
Garlic, herb & parmesan fried potatoes go perfectly with almost everything you could possibly be serving. They’re great for BBQ’s, with chicken or even just on their own as a little snack!
Garlic, Herb & Parmesan Fried Potatoes
- 1 kg boiled potatoes skins on
- 1 TBSP butter
- 1 TBSP crushed garlic
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- Salt & pepper
- Cut the boiled potatoes into cubes, about 2cm in size.
- Add the butter and garlic to a large frying pan and once the butter has melted cook for about 1 minute until the garlic has started to cook.
- Add the potatoes so that they are in a single layer (you may need to do the potatoes in 2 batches). Sprinkle the mixed herbs over the potatoes (only 1 tsp if doing the potatoes in 2 batches) and add salt to taste. Fry for 10-15 minutes over a medium/high heat, stirring occasionally until the potatoes are starting to go golden brown.
- Add the grated parmesan cheese and fry for a further 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the cheese has melted and has gone golden.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste and serve immediately.
- Leftovers can be kept in the fridge and re-heated in the frying pan for 10 minutes or until hot.