Oven baked BBQ pork strips – the perfect addition to any late summer barbeque or quick weeknight meal.
I’m 100% in denial. It’s March, which means that technically summer is over. 🙁 Lucky for me summer sticks around until March/April most of the time down under so we have another couple of months where using the BBQ as the number 1 method of cooking is still acceptable. Or longer if you are super mean like me and make Josh go out in the middle of winter to BBQ because you had a real hankering for that chargrilled flavour. Sorry Josh.
If you’ve been following along here for a while you would know that we usually have a couple of pigs on our little farm. Well unfortunately for them, but better for us they have…um…graduated from pig life…and as a result we have a freezer full of delicious home grown pork for the eating. The great thing is that we have so much that we can get creative with how we cook it. The other night Josh made EPIC Italian parmesan pork chops (I’ll try and get the recipe outta him) but he maintains that his favourite pork recipe is this BBQ pork strip beauty.
And I’ve gotta agree – this recipe has a lot going for it.
It’s easy to make, super speedy to throw together and can be cooked either in the oven or thrown on the barbeque. All it needs is some taters dug up from the garden, a little side salad and you have 1 super simple summery meal.
The BBQ sauce has a lot of components but they all do their thing to make the sauce amazing. All that needs doing is whisking up the sauce, brushing it over the pork strips and baking for 15-20 minutes, turn the pork over and brush the rest of the sauce on the other side and let the oven do the work.
The sauce keeps the pork tender & juicy but the sauce caramelizes and the flavours are out of this world. The recipe makes plenty of sauce so that it doesn’t all dry up and leaves enough to make a mess while you eat it. Because also acceptable is the eating of the pork strips with your fingers.
This sauce goes well on any cut of pork – chops, strips, or even pieces. I also love using it if I’m doing a pulled pork in the slow cooker. It’s the perfect summer BBQ meal!
What to serve with BBQ pork strips:
Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (you can also make this with broccoli or beans!)
Made this? Tag me on Instagram @thekiwicountrygirl and hashtag it #thekiwicountrygirl. And if you tried and loved this recipe, please leave a comment and a rating below!
BBQ Pork Strips
- 500 grams pork strips or chops
- 3 TBSP BBQ sauce
- 3 TBSP tomato sauce
- 2 TBSP soy sauce
- 1 TBSP brown sugar
- 1 TBSP Worcester sauce
- 1 TBSP oil
- 1 TBSP crushed garlic
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tsp fresh ginger finely chopped or crushed
- Add everything except the pork to a small jug & whisk together until well combined.
- Line a baking tray and lay out the pork strips. Using half the sauce, brush it over the pork strips so that they are well coated.
- Bake at 180 degrees C for 15-20 minutes, remove from the oven, flip the pork strips over and brush the remaining sauce on to the other side of the pork.
- Put back in the oven for another 15-20 minutes until the pork is cooked through.
- TO BBQ:
- Follow the same method, but the pork will only take about 10 minutes on each side.
- Remove from the oven or from the BBQ and serve with rice or potatoes & a salad.