An easy recipe for ham & cheese pizza rolls with honey mustard sauce...perfect for entertaining, after school snacks or weekend lunch!
I'm having a bit of a moment with bread right now. Lately, our kitchen has actually become a bakery. And by bakery I mean permanently flour covered surfaces, dough rising in weird places and ciabatta, bread rolls, banana bread, croissants, you name it, coming out my ears. I don't know what it is but I am obsessing over bread. I need to make allthebreadthings. Like, right now. Seriously, my weekly shop makes it look like I am anticipating a worldwide shortage of flour and yeast. Which, given the state of my kitchen is probably kinda accurate.
Also, there have been some failures. I'm talking a loaf of bread that spreads out over the entire baking tray, a cloud of smoke coming out of my oven because when you bake croissants on a flat baking tray the butter kinda starts melting and goes everywhere covering the bottom of your oven and setting off the smoke alarms. But, homemade croissants...I'm still winning right? They tasted good. And my oven totally needed to be cleaned anyway.
But the good news is that my house officially smells incredible. All the time!
Lucky we're coming into winter and I'm going to need allthebreadthings to eat with allthesoups I'm about to make. I'm gonna be busy!
Once I have a handle on the fancy breads I will definitely let you know...is that something you would want to see? Easy homemade bread recipes? Please say yes, making bread is SO much fun!
But in the meantime, we're going back to basics and there is no bread more basic than this homemade pizza dough. Don't get me wrong, I love regular pizza - probably more than the next person considering that we served it for dinner at our wedding - but sometimes I like to get a little creative. Sometimes pizza bread, sometimes pizza rolls. Always with delicious toppings and always with lots of cheese!
So today we've got an easy recipe for ham & cheese pizza rolls with honey mustard sauce...perfect for parties, sports games or weekend lunches.
I used my favourite tried and tested homemade pizza dough recipe for the base. It's so easy to throw together and after 15 minutes of prep, it only requires about 90 minutes to rise before it can be rolled out and made into pizza rolls.
Once the dough is made the rolls are a breeze to put together. Whisk equal amounts of wholegrain mustard and honey together and spread it on the base, top with sliced ham and your favourite grated cheese, roll it up tightly, slice and bake!
You can spread the rolls out on a baking tray but I love making them in muffin tins. It keeps them contained and makes them nice and golden brown the whole way around.
The rolls are crispy on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside, filled with ham & cheesy goodness and the honey mustard sauce makes them a little bit sweet.
They are officially my new favourite snack - plus, they are just the right size to hold in your hand which would make them the perfect snack for kids...or farmers who like to eat on the go!
Honey Mustard Ham & Cheese Pizza Rolls
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast I use Edmond's Surebake Yeast
- ¾ cup warm water 160ml
- 1 ¾ - 2 cups flour approx 260g
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 200 g ham any kind will do, I used shaved champagne ham from the supermarket deli
- ½ cup grated cheese I used mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- Add yeast and water to the bowl of a stand mixer and combine using the dough hook. Allow to sit for 5 minutes for the yeast to activate.
- Add the remaining ingredients and knead for 7 minutes on the lowest speed. This can also be done by hand. The dough will be quite sticky - this is good - but add a little more flour if it's too sticky to handle.
- Lightly oil a large bowl and once the dough is kneaded, transfer it to the oiled bowl, Cover in gladwrap and put in a warm place to rise until doubled in size (1-2 hours)
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Once risen, gently punch the dough down and leave it to rest for 10 minutes before rolling it out into a 35cm x 20cm rectangle.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the honey and wholegrain mustard and spread all over the rolled out dough.
- Lay the slices of ham on the dough and top with the grated cheese. With the long side facing you, gently roll up the dough into a tight log.
- With the seam side down, carefully slice the roll into 12 even pieces, placing the rolls into greased muffin tins. You may place them on a regular baking tray but I prefer making them in muffin tins.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the cheese has melted and the rolls are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.