Before you go and make this slice, please go to the movies and watch Bad Neighbours 2. And if you haven’t seen the first one, go and watch that first. Because I have not laughed so hard in AGES! Seriously.
Zac Efron (shirtless for a good majority of the movie 😉 ) + Seth Rogen + a toddler who walks around for the entire movie with a toy that reeeeally isn’t a toy for kids…you follow?? = so many laughs. Plus I got to eat salted caramel choc top ice-cream and Josh had his all time favourite food, movie popcorn, and we called it date night <– which for some reason seems way more legit now that we are married. And yes, that was our raging Saturday night and we were home and in bed by 10.30pm which was a super late night for us because we are 90 years old.
Good, now we can make slice.
You all know that Josh doesn’t have much of a sweet tooth right? When it comes to dessert he is happy to not have it. Something I will never understand. I’m working through it, 20 peanut butter cups at a time.
But something that blows my mind even more is that this – this triple layer, caramel in the middle, chocolate on the top, probably one of the sweetest slices I make – is his favourite.
Mr “I don’t have a sweet tooth” loves, and even requests this slice.
This slice is a bit of a Kiwi classic – it always seems to make an appearance at morning teas, school bake sales and everything in between. And for good reason! It’s got a biscuity base with a bit of coconut thrown in for good measure, a super tasty caramel filling made from my favourite ingredient in the world (condensed milk!!) and it’s covered in a thick layer of dark chocolate.
There are so many good things about this slice.
I think it goes without saying that this is a treaty kinda slice, not for everyday. It’s also a little bit bitsy to make as you have to do it in stages, but they all flow on pretty well.
First, make the base, and while the base is baking, prepare the filling. Once the filling is baked and has cooled, quickly melt the chocolate topping and spread it over top. Leave the slice for about 10 minutes to set and it’s all go!
So there are a few steps, but it will still only take about 1 hour from start to finish.
Time that is well spent when this is what you get at the end!
Chocolate Caramel Slice
- 1 cup 140g flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup dessicated coconut
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 100 g butter
- 1 tin condensed milk
- 25 g butter
- 2 TBSP brown sugar
- 250 g dark or milk chocolate
- 40 g butter
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and line a 9"x9" square brownie tin with tinfoil
- Melt butter and brown sugar in a medium sized pot until sugar has dissolved. Stir in flour, baking powder and coconut and combine.
- Press into prepared tin and press down with the back of the spoon. Bake for 10 minutes until starting to go brown around the edges.
- While base is baking, combine all ingredients in a pot and cook over a medium heat for 5 -10 minutes until the mixture almost comes to the boil. Stir continuously so that it doesn't burn on the bottom.
- Remove the base from the oven and pour the filling over top, tilting the tin so that the filling covers the whole base.
- Bake for 8 minutes until the filling is golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Melt chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl either over a pot of boiling water on the stove or in the microwave. Once the slice is cool, spread the chocolate topping over and allow it to set.
- Cut into squares and store in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks.