Make the most of a glut of zucchini in your summer garden by making easy zucchini fritters! They take 10 minutes to mix together, 10 minutes to cook and they are the perfect lunch or snack!
Hands up if you planted too many zucchini plants (again) and you are drowning in marrows? (Hi, yes that would be me!)
Well guess what - would you believe me if I told you we have been keeping on top of them, purely because we have been eating zucchini fritters for lunch every second day for the last few weeks! And we are not even sick of them yet!
This is the recipe to solve the "we have nothing to eat except zucchini and someone is coming for lunch" panic. It couldn't be more simple! Pantry staples plus grated zucchini and you are on your way to a cafe style lunch in no time.
Click here to Pin this recipe to your lunch recipes board to save it for later
There are only 5 basic ingredients in these fritters and I can almost guarantee you have them all right now - eggs, flour, baking powder, salt and zucchini. Optional is feta and a small amount of lemon zest but having made these both with and without these ingredients, I highly recommend adding them - it makes them super flavourful and even if you or your kids don't like feta (Sadie) they won't even notice it's in there.
I've also added green peppers to the mix when I've had them floating around which added a nice crunch.
Fry them in a hot frying pan for a few minutes either side until golden brown on both sides and cooked through and you are ready to go!
Serve them with sour cream, tomato relish and avocado and you have one fancy (but so simple!) lunch!
Other great lunch ideas:
- Cheesy Spinach, Mushroom and Feta Quiche
- Homemade Tomato Soup
- 15 minute Ham, Cheese and Tomato Croissants
- Cheese & Herb Scones
- Easy Roast Veggie Salad
Made this recipe? Tag me on Instagram @thekiwicountrygirl and hashtag it #thekiwicountrygirl.
Easy Zucchini Fritters with Feta
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups grated zucchini (see recipe note 1)
- 50 grams feta (crumbled)
- ¼ cup diced green or red pepper (optional)
- Zest of half a lemon (optional)
- Sour cream
- Tomato relish
- Add the eggs to a large mixing bowl and whisk together well. Add the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk until well combined.
- Add the zucchini and feta (and peppers and lemon zest if using) and using a spatula or wooden spoon, mix together until well combined.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan over a low-medium heat (see recipe note 2)
- Spoon the batter into the pan (about 1 big spoonful per fritter) and cook for a few minutes each side until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from the pan onto a cooling rack while you cook the remaining fritters.
- Serve with sour cream, tomato relish and avocado.
- If you are using marrows and they are quite watery, you may need to use a clean tea towel and squeeze out any excess liquid. If you are just using regular sized zucchini this isn't necessary.
- How hot the pan is will depend on the type of pan you are using. I cooked mine in a cast iron frying pan which gets quite hot, so low-medium heat is perfect. If you are using a non-stick frying pan, medium heat will be perfect.