This quick & easy roast veggie salad is perfect for lunches or as a healthy side dish for dinner. Use whatever vegetables you have on hand and don’t forget the delicious honey balsamic dressing!
It’s been a long month of sweet things over here (but no complaints right?!) so I thought I would mix it up today with a savoury recipe that is perfect for all year round but would certainly not be out of place on the Christmas Day spread! This easy roast veggie salad is a winner and it can be served either hot or cold meaning you can make it in advance!
Click here to pin this post to your salad recipes board on Pinterest to save it for later
We’ve talked about this before, but I have a few criteria that I think need to be met when it comes to a salad. They need to have some sort of cheese, nuts or seeds and an awesome dressing. All of these key things take any salad from boring to brilliant. And make them way more filling. No one likes eating a salad for lunch and then having to eat again 5 minutes later…well…maybe we do!
This roast veggie salad is a pretty hearty salad anyway, given that it’s mostly made up of root vegetables. Use whatever you have on hand or whatever needs to be used up. I used potatoes, sweet potatoes, zucchini, carrot and red pepper. Delicious! When assembling the salad I like to throw through a couple of handfuls of baby spinach leaves too – extra greens never go astray. And of course, plenty of crumbled feta cheese.
For the seeds I used a combo of sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Toasting the seeds is optional but highly recommended – it gives them a delicious nutty flavour. I just tossed them around in a hot pan (my mini cast iron pan) for a few minutes.
The dressing is very simple – it’s on the sweeter side thanks to the honey, but I think it goes really well with the roast vegetables. As always, add all ingredients to a little jar, shake up and pour over.
If you are taking the salad to a BBQ or making in advance, wait and pour the dressing over about 30 minutes before serving. This will ensure the spinach doesn’t get soggy.
More great salad ideas
Made this recipe? Tag me on Instagram @thekiwicountrygirl and hashtag it #thekiwicountrygirl.
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Kiwi Country Girl.
Here are some items I used to make this recipe:
Roast Veggie Salad
- 6-8 cups chopped vegetables (I used sweet potato, potato, carrot, peppers and zucchini)
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt & pepper
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- Juice of 1/2 an orange
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/390°F. Add the chopped vegetables to a large mixing bowl and add the olive oil, oregano, garlic powder and season generously with salt and pepper. Toss to coat and spread in a single layer on a baking tray lined with a silicone liner or baking paper. Bake for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked.
- Add all dressing ingredients to a jar and shake well to combine.
Assembling the salad
- Add the roasted vegetables, spinach leaves and feta to a large serving bowl. If serving immediately, pour over the dressing (you may not need all of it) and toss to combine.If you are going to serve the salad in a day or 2, leave the dressing off and keep it in the fridge along with the salad and pour over about 30 minutes before serving.Salad will keep in the fridge for several days.