This easy one pot sausage pasta is going to become a regular on your weekly meal rotation! 30 minutes from start to finish and everything (including the pasta) is cooked in one pot!
So, Sadie has started doing this really awesome thing where she likes to try and climb out of her cot at nap time.
We had this perfect plan that we would paint the new room, buy her a big girl bed and then at the start of August (time before the baby arrives) make a big deal out of moving her into a new room and bed and it would be happy days.
But of COURSE, like anything parenting, things don’t ever go as planned, so given that the room is not ready to paint and we have no idea what bed we are buying her, I think we are now going to take the side off her cot and slowly start the transition into a bed that way.
Click here to pin this to your easy dinners recipe board on Pinterest to save it for later
I’m picking that this is going to mean 2 things.
- Lunchtime naps are probably going to become a thing of the past much sooner than I anticipated; and
- Bedtime is going to involve some serious monitoring for the foreseeable future!
Meaning: our dinner needs to be something quick and easy to prepare, or something that can be made in advance and reheated once the bedtime battle is over.
Luckily, this one pot sausage pasta fits the bill perfectly!
You guys all LOVE my one pan cheesy mince pasta – something that really didn’t surprise me as we are obsessed with it! So I thought it was time to make a variation on it.
It follows the exact same idea, only with sausages instead of mince and Italian flavours rather than just a basic tomato sauce.
Everything is cooked in one pot, the pasta cooks perfectly, the cheese gets nice and melty and this time I’ve added spinach and zucchini to the ingredients list to make it a total meal with no need for side dishes.
Except maybe garlic bread, because there is always room for garlic bread on my plate!
More easy dinner ideas:
Made this recipe? Tag me on Instagram @thekiwicountrygirl and hashtag it #thekiwicountrygirl.
One Pot Sausage Pasta
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed or finely chopped)
- 6-8 sausages (sliced into bite sized pieces – see note 1)
- 1 x 400 gram tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1 Tablespoon dried mixed herbs
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups dried pasta (any shape)
- 2 cups baby spinach or chopped spinach leaves
- 1 cup grated zucchini/carrot (optional)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- You will need a large frying pan with a lid for this recipe. If you don’t have a pan with a lid, you can use tinfoil to cover it instead.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes until fragrant. Add the sausages and brown (about 5 minutes).
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, beef stock, mixed herbs & balsamic vinegar and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium/low, add the pasta and stir to combine. Cover and allow to cook for 15 minutes, stirring once during cooking.
- After 15 minutes, remove the lid and check that the pasta is cooked. If it needs, cook for an extra couple of minutes. Stir through the spinach and grated veggies if using.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top and cover again for a further 2 minutes until the cheese has melted. If you have used an oven proof (e.g. cast iron pan you can put it under the grill to melt the cheese if you would prefer.
- Take the pan off the heat and serve immediately.