This cheesy spinach cob loaf recipe is the most delicious appetizer ever! The best spinach cheese dip served up in a homemade cob loaf and ready to dip toasty bread into!
I'm at the point in this pregnancy where I'm well and truly past the "I don't feel good, only bread and cheese will do" stage and have moved gracefully onto the "I'm pregnant and I will eat as much bread and cheese as I like" stage. It's a good one!
You have to understand though, even non pregnant people can't resist this cheesy spinach cob loaf. I served it at our family Easter brunch and it went down a treat!
Click here to pin this recipe to your appetizers recipes board on Pinterest to save it for later
While I've eaten more than my fair share of delicious stuffed cob loaves in my time, I had never actually made one! Well I've sorted that out well and truly over the last few weeks. Cob loaves every week!
The thing that really makes this cob loaf amazing is the homemade bread. Sure, you can buy a cob loaf but if you really want to level up your stuffed bread bowl, you have got to try making the bread. It is such a simple recipe, baking it in a cake tin gives you that perfect round shape and it really does take this cob loaf to a whole new level of awesome.
Once the bread is made and hollowed out, it's a simple matter of toasting the empty bread bowl and pieces of bread while mixing up the quick cheesy spinach dip. Cook down a few cups of spinach (so healthy!) with butter and garlic, add cream cheese, sour cream and grated cheese.
Oh ok, fine I was kidding about the healthy thing.
Pour the dip into the toasted bread bowl and serve! And don't forget, the best part is when you run out of bread dippers and have to break into the bread bowl coated in dip...YUM!!
Made this recipe? Tag me on Instagram @thekiwicountrygirl and hashtag it #thekiwicountrygirl.
- 1 cob loaf (bought or homemade)
- 3 cups baby spinach or large spinach leaves sliced
- 40 grams butter
- 2 cloves garlic , crushed
- 250 grams cream cheese
- 250 grams sour cream
- 1 cup grated cheese
- Salt & pepper
- ¼-1/2 cup milk or cream (if needed)
- Slice the top off the cob loaf and scoop out the inside leaving a 2cm edge and break it the bread into bite sized pieces. Arrange the hollowed out loaf and pieces of bread on a large baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 10 minutes at 180°C until starting to get crispy.
- While the bread is toasting melt the butter in a medium sized pot over a medium heat. Add the spinach and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes until spinach has cooked down.
- Add cream cheese, sour cream, grated cheese and mix together. Cook for 5 minutes or so until smooth and creamy. Add salt & pepper to taste. If you think the dip is too thick, thin it out with milk or cream.
- Remove the bread from the oven, pour the filling into the loaf and serve immediately!
- You can also make the filling ahead of time and store in the fridge, reheating it on the stove before you need it.
love, love, love it - keeps your guests coming back for more 🙂
Effy P says
Was a real crowd pleaser. So fast simply to make, I even forgot the garlic and is was still great.
So simple taste delicious 😋
This was amazing!! Satisfied all my cheesy pregnancy cravings! Is going to be my go-to instead of a cheese board this summer!
kerri Jopp says
Love this loaf. Have made it twice now and it's a real crowd pleaser. The tip about cooking in a cake tin is genius.
Absolutely divine! Made this last night to take to a friend’s for a small gathering and it was an absolute hit. The whole cobb was devoured in no time at all! I added some smoked paprika when cooking off the garlic and doubled the garlic quantity (because you can never get enough) and it was delish. Will make this again for sure. Thank you for the recipe ☺️