Everything you need to know about how to set up a build your own bagel bar - perfect for Christmas morning as almost everything can be prepared in advance, leaving you more time for opening presents!
DISCLOSURE: This post is a paid partnership with Countdown Supermarkets. All content and opinions are my own.
Wanting some easy inspiration for Christmas morning this year? I’ve partnered with Countdown to share one of our family traditions, which is having bagels for breakfast on Christmas Day. I can’t quite remember when it started, but I know it will be around for a long time. I always lay out a range of topping so people can choose what they like. Without even trying, there is bound to be something for everyone.
There are 3 things about setting up a build your own bagel bar that I just love - especially when it comes to making Christmas Day that much more simple!
1. There is next to no preparation required! If you want you can scramble eggs in the morning, but other than toasting the bagels everything else is just a matter of laying it out on a platter. You can make the cream cheese a few days in advance and slice up the veggies the night before to make the morning super easy.
2. Everything can be purchased from your local Countdown! You can even arrange for everything to be delivered to your door using their online shopping service if you want to avoid the Christmas chaos.
3. I use topping that have long use-by dates so I can prepare early – even the prosciutto and salmon can be purchased a couple of weeks in advance and kept in the fridge.
Step 1: Choose your bagels
I like having a selection of bagels to choose from - my personal favourite are "everything" bagels but it's nice to have some plain, some sesame seed and some sweet bagels like cinnamon raisin or blueberry also.
Step 2: Choose your spreads
Cream cheese is a given but you don’t have to stick with plain cream cheese! Soften a block of cream cheese and stir through chopped fresh herbs for a delicious herbed cream cheese. I love using parsley and chives. For a sweet option, try adding mashed strawberries or finely chopped dried cranberries and apricots or even just your favourite jam! This can be done a few days in advance. Other ideas for spreads could be pesto (traditional green and try a sundried tomato dip for Christmas colours!), hummus and a selection of jams and honey
Step 3: Choose your toppings
It's hard to go wrong with smoked salmon and cream cheese or cream cheese and a delicious fruit jam but if you are looking for some extra inspiration, here are some of our favourite bagel combos:
- Cream cheese, pesto & tomato
- Herbed cream cheese, smoked salmon & cucumber
- Prosciutto & scrambled eggs
- Prosciutto, sun dried tomato dip & herbed cream cheese
- Smoked salmon & scrambled eggs
- Cream cheese & jam
- Cream cheese & fresh berries drizzled with honey
- Butter & cinnamon sugar
Step 4: Lay it all out
I arranged all of the bagels on one platter and the toppings on a wooden chopping board. Less dishes, easy clean up and still looks the part!
To make it look extra fancy and festive I added fresh dill and basil and a few extra Christmas goodies like candy canes, crackers & magical elves that obviously can be part of the morning fun!