How to make homemade peanut butter using only 1 ingredient – peanuts! It only takes 10 minutes and makes delicious, healthy peanut butter!
Look look look look look!! I MADE this!!
I have just fulfilled one of my
lifelong year long goals.
- Make peanut butter…check!
It’s so smooth. And creamy. And delicious!
I have a love/hate relationship with peanut butter. As in I love it with chocolate/in baking/with jam and hate it…by itself. Yep, I am a weirdo. But but but I am super excited to announce that this has now changed.
I am officially in LOVE/LOVE with peanut butter! This one anyway.
Aaaaand ready for the kicker?
Yes. Just one.
After I made it Josh (the resident peanut butter lover in our house) asked me what was in it.
Josh: What’s in it?
Josh: What else?
Josh: Nothing else?
Me: Nope, just peanuts!
Extreme intellectual conversations happening here.
But that is my favourite thing about this magical peanut butter. No added salt, sugar, preservatives or anything. Just plain old peanuts. Thrown into the food processor for 10 minutes until this happens.
It’s worth noting that this journey of homemade peanut butter discovery was a long one for me. I saw other people doing it and tried, but I just couldn’t do it! I was ending up with a sort of peanut paste, but nothing like the runny liquidy beautiful peanut butter I was dreaming of. Eventually I figured out why – 2 reasons.
- Raw peanuts didn’t work. Roasted peanuts did. Also, I used roasted salted peanuts but if you wanted to control the saltiness, feel free to use plain roasted. I’m also 110% sure that honey roasted peanuts would be even more amazing. Or just adding some honey! (UPDATE 25/8/15 Just made it with honey roasted peanuts, and as predicted, it was AWESOME! Plus, it only took about 6 minutes to blend together)
- It did not take 5 minutes like most things I’d read said. It took about 10 minutes. I kept getting frustrated at the 5 and even 8 minute mark and quit, ending up with a peanutty paste that turned into a rock in the fridge. Lesson: persevere! It will happen. And it will be a beautiful moment when it does.
Here is how the process looked:
Peanuts! Prepare to meet your maker.
30 seconds in, looking like breadcrumbs.
2 minutes in, it’s starting to clump together
5 minutes in – slightly paste like.
8 minutes in – looking more like peanut butter.
10 minutes in – we have a winner!
So once I was using the right peanuts and not getting mad when after 5 minutes I didn’t have peanut butter, it was good! It’s worth noting that it may take less time depending on the processor you are using.
And now I am eating peanut butter approximately 10 times per day.
Please make this. It will be one of the best things you do.
Homemade Peanut Butter
- 2 cups roasted peanuts salted or unsalted
- Extra salt or honey to taste
- Place peanuts in food processor.
- Process on high speed for 8-12 minutes until you have a smooth, creamy peanut butter.
- Store in the refrigerator.