Snacks. They are the bane of my existence. Seriously. I'm pretty sure you are either a snacker or not and I am a snacker of the highest order. You should see the lunch I take to work each day. SO MUCH FOOD!! But there is nothing worse than being hungry. Even though I try to pack healthy snacks, that mid morning or mid afternoon craving hits hard and the first thing I want to reach for is the sneaky bar of chocolate in my desk draw...you know...
This is a judgement free zone.
I've been trying really hard lately to find snacks that are not full of sugar but still satisfy my sweet tooth. Lucky for us both I think I've hit the nail on the head with these healthy cranberry & chocolate oat bars!
Made of of mostly oats, studded with cranberries and chocolate chips these bars are the perfect snack. There is only a tiny bit of brown sugar but the cranberries and chocolate chips throughout make them plenty sweet enough. You can eat a couple of these without feeling guilty, which is just as well because it is super easy to polish off 2 or 3 in a row.
Or 4 or 5.
The ingredient list is super simple and they are a breeze to throw together. They can be in your belly in 30 minutes. Really!
My favourite part - this is the best naked bar recipe. You can add anything you like to these babies and make them your own. Don't like cranberries? Leave them out! Trying to avoid chocolate? Add some walnuts instead! Want to throw in every single snacky item in your pantry? Sure, why not! I would just try to limit the additions to 1 cup worth of goodies otherwise you may have a mess on your hands.
But make 'em right and you have a healthy, tasty treat with little surprises in each bite! Yum!
Healthy cranberry & chocolate oat bars
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup coconut
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 70 grams butter melted
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- In a medium sized bowl mix together rolled oats, flour, coconut, baking powder and brown sugar.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan or in a microwave jug, add egg and vanilla and whisk together.
- Add to the dry ingredients and combine.
- Add the cranberries & chocolate chips and combine.
- Press into a lined or greased 11" x 7" brownie tin and bake at 180 degrees C for 12-14 minutes until slightly golden brown on top.
- Cool in the tin before cutting into slices and storing in an airtight container.