Josh's secret recipe for the best ever homemade beef burger patties. Perfect for burger night - especially if you put them in homemade hamburger buns!
This post was originally published in April 2015 – it has been retested, rephotographed, rewritten, and republished (to make it better for you!) in January 2019.
I do most of the cooking in our house but when it comes to homemade burgers I am given my marching orders.
I've made burger patties before, and they're ok I guess, but when Josh gets in the kitchen and makes a burger, I'm telling you, it's like no other burger you will ever eat.
This is a big call, but I'm making it. Josh makes the BEST burger patties around. And I've eaten a lot of burgers.
And guess what - he let me take photos and tell you about it! Today is the best day ever.
I'd never even watched him make the patties before. And I'll admit, even as I was watching I was thinking...hmmm, that is not how I would do it. I take it back. I take it all back. If I ever have to make a burger again (and I hope Josh always makes them for me) this is exactly how I will do them. And how you should too.
Click here to pin this post to your easy dinners recipes board on Pinterest to save it for later
There are a couple of little tricks that Josh uses when he makes burgers. One is to combine all the ingredients except for the mince first. Crack 2 eggs into a bowl and whisk up. Add the breadcrumbs, mixed herbs, beef stock cube (don't leave this out...I'm pretty sure it's the secret ingredient) crushed garlic and a squeeze of BBQ sauce and mix that all up.
Then add your mince and get in there with your hands and mix it all together. Split the mixture into 4 and shape into patties. It's important to note that normal people might make 6 patties out of this much mince but Josh likes to make man patties so we get 4 jumbo patties out of it. Big is good! If you are making your own burger buns, use this recipe and make it into 6 buns instead of 8 - this will get you the right sized bun for the burger.
Coat them lightly in flour and put them in the freezer for about 30 minutes. Josh tells me they hold together much better this way and apparently they stay juicier when you cook them! I would definitely agree with that.
Once they've been in the freezer, take them out and put em in the frypan. Fry for about 7-8 minutes on either side until they are cooked through. TIP...cover the pan with a lid and they will cook through better.
And make the most epic burger ever!
No other burger will ever compare.
Try making your own Hamburger Buns for an even better burger!
Made this? Tag me on Instagram @thekiwicountrygirl and hashtag it #thekiwicountrygirl.
Josh's Homemade Burger Patties
- 500 grams minced beef
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 ½ tsp crushed garlic
- 1 beef stock cube (about 1 tsp powder)
- 2 TBSP BBQ sauce
- Crack 2 eggs into a bowl and whisk together. Add the breadcrumbs and whisk again. Add mixed herbs, garlic, beef stock cube and BBQ sauce and combine.
- Add mince and mix it all together using your hands.
- Split the mixture into 4 (or 6 if you prefer smaller burgers) and shape into patties. Coat each pattie lightly in flour and place on a baking tray in the freezer for 30 minutes. This helps the patties to hold together better when cooking and makes them much juicier!
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat and fry the patties until cooked through (about 7-8 minutes each side).
- Put the burger in a bun, add your salads and sauces and enjoy the best burger ever!