Our favourite breakfast cereal has been given a Christmas upgrade! This sweet, spicy gingerbread granola is perfect for eating all December long and also makes a great homemade gift idea!
The time has come to be in full Christmas mode. The way I see it, so much preparation goes into this one day, so I’m going to get as much mileage out of the build up as I can. And if I’m being honest, I actually think I enjoy the lead up to Christmas more than the day itself. I mean, obviously I LOVE Christmas Day, but there is something so magical and exciting about the anticipation of Christmas! Do you agree?
So in the name of being excited about December, we have pulled out the Christmas pj’s, played Christmas music, put up our tree (no mean feat with a toddler in tow) and baked Christmas cookies! And of course, we can’t even do something normal like eat breakfast without Christmas creeping into it – I’ve made my favourite granola, the Christmas edition!
Click here to pin this post to your breakfast recipes board on Pinterest to save it for later
This granola doesn’t quite earn the healthy label that the original has. Instead of honey I use brown sugar and a bit of golden syrup, to give it that real gingerbread flavour.
As always though, it’s the same process. Combine the dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients, stir together and bake for 45 minutes until crunchy. You can use whatever nuts and other ingredients you like – I added dessicated coconut as I love the flavour and almonds because they’re our favourite! But use whatever you have. Also, it might seem like a lot of spice in the granola, but trust me on this. Any less and the gingerbread flavour doesn’t sing through as loud and clear as you want it to!
It would also make a really fun gift idea! Pop a homemade gingerbread man cookie inside, tie a ribbon around the jar and you’re done!
Other Christmas morning breakfast ideas
Made this? Tag me on Instagram @thekiwicountrygirl and hashtag it #thekiwicountrygirl.
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Kiwi Country Girl.
SHOP THE RECIPE
Here are some items I used to make this recipe:
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped nuts (e.g. almonds, walnuts, pecans, cashews)
- 1 cup other dry ingredients (e.g. dessicated coconut, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, raw quinoa, puffed rice, wheatgerm)
- 1 Tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup oil/melted butter (melted coconut oil, sunflower oil, rice bran oil)
- 1/4 cup golden syrup *see recipe note 1
- 1/4 cup brown sugar *see recipe note 1
- 1 tsp flavour (vanilla or almond extract)
- Pre-heat oven to 150°C/300°F
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients in a smaller bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and combine well.
- Spread mixture on a lined rimmed baking sheet (or roasting dish) and bake for 35-40 minutes. Check after the first 15 minutes and stir, then check every 10 minutes until starting to go golden brown and crisp.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the tray before transferring to an airtight container and storing in the pantry for 2 weeks.