It's spring!! But even though the sun is warmer and the days are starting to get longer, it is only September which means that mornings are still chilly and cosy warm bowls of coconut oatmeal with a big cup of coffee are still high on the list of things I'm not ready to let go of yet. Also on the list is moving Sadie out of our room into her own big and scary room all by her little 3 month old self, buuuut we don't need to go there. She's still a tiny newborn who needs me waking up in the night to listen to her breathing...right?
She is going to still be in our room when she is 12.
So until it's really warm and summery and we make the transition to granola bowls and even healthy breakfast popsicles we will stick with hot breakfasts. It's no secret that I love my oatmeal - it's delicious, healthy and keeps you going for AGES in the morning. You know, until morning snack time. But eating it day in, day out when the weather is cold and miserable leaves me wanting something a little different. That's where coconut oatmeal comes in! It fits the description of the perfect cosy warm winter breakfast but there's a little bit of something tropical in there that makes you think summer is on the way. Especially if you grill a little pineapple in brown sugar to put on top. Yes!!
This is no harder to make than regular oatmeal, all that is different is that it's made with coconut milk instead of regular milk or water, there is some dessicated coconut added in with the oats and a pinch of cinnamon for extra flavour.
To make the prep even faster, you could blitz up the oats in the food processor for 10 seconds to make them quick cook oats and you can even mix up the oats, coconut, cinnamon & salt in a few individual jars that can be stored in the cupboard, ready to be thrown straight into the pot with the milk in the morning, before you've even woken up properly. Take all the effort out!
Top with grilled pineapple, blueberries, extra coconut flakes and maple syrup and it's the perfect spring breakfast!
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoon dessicated coconut
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Grilled pineapple
- Maple syrup
- Coconut flakes
- Coconut milk
- Add oats, coconut, cinnamon, salt and coconut milk to a small saucepan on the stove and cook over a low-medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the milk is all absorbed and the oatmeal is the consistency that you like.
- Serve immediately with fresh or frozen blueberries, pineapple, coconut flakes, maple syrup and extra coconut milk.
- To make mornings easier, you can quadruple (or more) the recipe and measure out the dry ingredients into as many individual jars as you need, store them in the cupboard and just add the contents of the jar along with the milk to the pot in the morning.
- You can also whiz the oats in a food processor for 10 seconds to make cooking even quicker.