Have you ever read the ingredients list on a muesli bar box? I just did. And I did NOT like what I saw. The list of ingredients is so long and there are are even things that I've never heard of! As for them being a "healthy" snack...well. There is just about more sugar in each bar than anything else.
And don't get me started about how much you pay for those little bars!
These bars have 7 ingredients total. And I bet you know what they all are!
There is honey to sweeten and hold them together as well as a bit of butter and brown sugar for that flavour that makes you weak in the knees. While I'm not going to advertise these bars as the healthiest snack option, I can guarantee they are better for you than the bought ones!
Almonds add crunch, vanilla extract adds even more flavour and the combination of rolled oats and rice bubbles gives you that familiar texture.
And the best part is - they are no-bake so it takes less than 10 minutes to throw them together!
All you need to do is melt together butter, brown sugar and honey until it bubbles, and add a little vanilla extract.
Combine rolled oats, rice bubbles and sliced almonds in another bowl and add the wet ingredients to the dry before pressing into a slice tin and refrigerating for an hour and slicing into bars.
Now this is a snack I am happy about putting in my lunchbox!
Vanilla Almond No-Bake Muesli Bars
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats
- 1 ½ cups rice bubbles
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ⅓ cup honey
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 40 g butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a medium sized bowl combine rolled oats, rice bubbles & almonds.
- Melt butter, honey and brown sugar together in a pot over a medium heat. Bring to the boil and let bubble for a couple of minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour liquid into the dry ingredients and combine.
- Press into a slice tin (approx 18cm x 28cm/7" x 11") lined with tinfoil or baking paper. Use a rubber spatula and really press it into the tin. This will help the bars hold together.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour, remove from tin and cut into 16 pieces. Store in an airtight container in the fridge or at room temperature for 1 week.