These Simple Sesame Noodles are the perfect hot or cold side dish. Even better, they're ready in 15 minutes!
I know it's winter, and I'm supposed to be getting into slow cooker recipes and hot desserts and things that make you warm and cosy but I can't. I just don't like winter! All I want to do is make is ice-cream and smoothies and salads that I can take to the currently non-existent barbeques. Oh well, only 5 more months til summer! And here's a delicious sesame noodle dish that you can take to barbeques when summer does roll around.
Or for now, sit on the couch and eat in front of the heater with your blanket while dreaming about summer.
These simple sesame noodles are the definition of perfection. They are ready to eat in less than 15 minutes but taste like they've taken so much longer. Plus they have sesame oil in them. Is anyone else as obsessed with sesame oil as I am? You should be.
They're perfect if you need a side dish in a hurry. Or for having for lunch
3 4 5 days in a row. Guilty. I like making a big batch and slowly eating it through the week - it definitely makes mornings getting ready for work a lot easier! They are also a blank canvas. You can add whatever you like to them - spring onion, grated carrot, capsicum, snowpeas, edamame beans. We've even had these with BBQ pork pieces. Yum!
The ingredient list may look a little foreign but you can buy it all from the supermarket. The trickiest thing is probably rice wine vinegar but if it's not with the regular vinegar it'll be with the international food. And even if you don't make these, please at least go and buy a bottle of sesame oil. It's what dreams are made of.
You can use any type of noodles you like - my favourite at the moment are thin egg noodles, mostly because they only take 5 minutes to cook! All that's left to do is mix together the sauce and stir it through the cooked noodles. You can eat the noodles immediately and have them hot, or put them in the fridge and let the flavours develop a little more before eating them as a cold noodle salad.In fact, I think they are even better the next day. If cold noodles aren't your thing, zap them in the microwave!
Sprinkle with sesame seeds and it's complete!
I love you sesame noodles.
- 200 grams dried egg noodles
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 ½ tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 cup chopped veges (spring onion, grated carrot, capsicum, snowpeas, edamame beans)
- Sesame seeds to sprinkle on top
- Cook noodles according to packet directions.
- In a small bowl whisk together soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, garlic & ginger and pour over the noodles. Stir through chopped veges and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Serve hot or cold and store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- If possible, make ahead as the noodles are even better the next day!