Happy Halloween! Have you made these easy Halloween treats yet?
But let’s talk about the real reason we are here. The reason that the entire country (and probably our neighbours across the ditch) has come to a halt for the next 24 hours. The Rugby World Cup final. Tomorrow morning. 5am. I am so nervous.
If there is 1 thing I can teach anyone not from New Zealand it is this – nothing, seriously, NOTHING, brings our nation together like the All Blacks, in particular the once every 4 years World Cup. What makes it even more nerve wracking are these things:
- No team has EVER won back-to-back titles. We currently hold it.
- No team has ever won the title 3 times. New Zealand and Australia have both won it twice.
- New Zealand & Australia have never played each other in a final.
Oh yea, and:
4. Even though they are our closest geographical neighbours, the sporting rivalry between New Zealand & Australia is extreme.
So there’s kinda a lot at stake, you feel me?
So with all that in mind, and the fact that the game is at 5am because it’s being played in England, there is going to be no time or concentration for making breakfast in the morning. Enter, breakfast casserole!!
Throw it all together the night before – hashbrowns, sliced bacon or ham, grated cheese and anything else you like for breakfast. I also added cherry tomatoes and mushrooms, but you could also use peppers, onions, spinach, breakfast sausages or just keep it simple. Turn the oven on as soon as you get up, crack 4 eggs on top of the casserole (or 2 if your chickens have gone broody and stopped laying!), into the oven and in 40 minutes (conveniently half time) breakfast is ready.
And if you’re a true Kiwi you’ll cover it in Wattie’s Tomato Sauce, wrap it in 2 pieces of white bread and call it an All Blacks breakfast sandwich.
If you can stomach food.
Well I’m off to get my All Blacks jersey, the black face paint, a New Zealand flag and the alarm clock ready for the morning. Wish us luck!!
On second thoughts, maybe I’ll forget the breakfast casserole and go straight to mimosas!
GO ALL BLACKS!!
Overnight Breakfast Casserole
- 4 frozen hash browns
- 3-4 rashers of bacon chopped
- 3-4 large button mushrooms sliced
- 8 cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 2-4 eggs
- Salt & pepper
- Night before:
- Place hashbrowns, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes and cheese in a baking dish. Season with salt & pepper. Cover with gladwrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C
- Crack 2-4 eggs on top of the casserole.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the eggs are set.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving!
- Notes: You can assemble and bake in the morning, the overnight step is just to save time. This recipe is for 2 people, feel free to double the recipe and use a bigger dish