Lemon Coconut Slice - the perfect spring treat! A simple baked base topped with lemony coconut icing - keep it in the fridge for maximum deliciousness!
It's spring!! And I have the perfect spring recipe for you - Lemon Coconut Slice!
This is almost my favourite time of year. The weather is starting to get warmer, there are baby animals everywhere and the fruit trees that we planted are growing little blossoms!! Eeeek! My life is so exciting. But seriously, it finally feels like we are out of the thick of winter and I can sort of see summer on the horizon. It feels so good! Especially because I don't have a job anymore which means that this summer, Sadie & I are free agents to spend lots of time at the beach! Yippee!!
Speaking of summer and beach holidays, remember Chocolate Fish Slice - well, actually Chocolate Coconut Slice with a funny story to go with it. It's had a spring makeover and this is the lemon version. And as much as I love the chocolate version and it has been a family favourite for years, this Lemon Coconut Slice is definitely giving it a run for it's money!
There's not a lot of difference in the recipes which means that it's just as simple. Plus check it out...my first recipe video!! I've been wanting to make a video for ages but kept putting it in the "too-hard basket" until now! It's pretty amateur, so be nice, but let me know what you think! It shows you step by step how to make the slice and as you can see, it's very easy!
It's a simple matter of making and baking the base, and then while the base bakes, make a quick icing to pour over, set in the fridge and eat!
It will keep well at room temperature, but it's even better out of the fridge. It's got the perfect amount of lemony zest and the coconut makes it sorta tropical. Perfect for the time of year that we are all dreaming about summer being here soon!
Lemon Coconut Slice
- 100 g butter melted
- 1 c (140g) flour
- ½ c (110g) sugar
- ½ c (42g) dessicated coconut
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 TBSP hot water
- 25 g butter
- ½ c condensed milk
- 1 c (140g) icing sugar
- 1 c (85g) dessicated coconut
- 2 TBSP lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- 1 TBSP lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
- Pre heat the oven to 180°C (350°F)
- Combine all ingredients for the base in a small bowl. Press into an 8 inch square brownie tin lined with baking paper
- Bake for 15 minutes
- While the base is in the oven, melt the condensed milk and the butter in a small jug in the microwave or in a small pot on the stove.
- Sift icing sugar into the mixture and add coconut, lemon juice & lemon zest. Stir to combine.
- Remove the base from the oven and immediately pour topping over. You may need to use a slightly wet knife or the back of a spoon to spread it over evenly.
- Allow to set completely in the fridge for a few hours before slicing into 16 pieces. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 week.