Classic cookies infused with the flavours of Christmas…sweet, spicy and super tasty, these eggnog snickerdoodles are perfect to leave out for Santa!
It’s the mooooost wonderful tiiiiiime, of the yeeeeear. Scratch that. It’s one of the mooooost, streeeeeesful times, of the yeeeeear. Just kidding. I actually really love Christmas but it’s also Josh’s birthday. Tomorrow. He is one of those December/just scraped in before Christmas babies that make this time of year extremely difficult. To make matters worse…he’s turning 30 this year!! So the aim of the game is to make sure the birthday doesn’t get forgotten in the midst of Christmas/wedding craziness!! I won’t tell you what I have for him (sometimes he reads this, hi Josh!) but it’s going to be fun! As long as everything arrives…today. I’m a last minute kinda gal. Makes life interesting.
So let’s escape the ridiculousness that is my life right now (and for the next 2 months) and take a journey. Weekend eggnog. Christmas creeping closer. Cookies for every meal. Natural progression = eggnog snickerdoodles!
Take my favourite cinammonny sugary cookies, add the most delicious eggnog, roll em in nutmeg & you end up with soft, pillowy, crunchy on the outside Christmassy snickerdoodles! Also, turns out you can add “y” to the end of majority of words in a sentence and it’s fine.
The key ingredient in these cookies is the cream of tartar. DON’T leave it out! This is what gives snickerdoodles that characteristic crunchy shell while keeping them soft on the inside.
There is no chilling required for these babies so they can be baked with limited time, something I think everyone is feeling right now!
Make these, your house will smell delicious and your belly will be happy. 1 week to go!!
Recipe inspired by Sally’s Snickerdoodles
- 150 g butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup eggnog
- To roll in:
- 2 TBSP sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Cream the butter and sugars together until light and creamy. Add egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add to the butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Add eggnog and stir until incorporated into the batter.
- In a small bowl or ramekin mix together 2 TBSP sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon & 1/4 tsp nutmeg.
- Roll 1.5-2TBSP of batter into a ball. Roll each ball in the cinnamon sugar mix and place on a lined baking tray.
- Gently press down on the dough balls to help them spread slightly.
- Bake at 180 degrees C for 10-12 minutes, taking them out just as the tops start to go golden and start to crack.
- Allow to cool on the tray for 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container for 1 week.