An easy recipe for the night before Christmas - Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies - the perfect Christmas cookie to leave out for Santa!
Merry Christmas Eve!! One more sleep to go! Is everyone ready? I'm officially on holiday for 2 weeks - so exciting! I'll be spending today making trifle, Christmas Fruit Mince Pies and listening to as many Christmas carols as I can stand. We've watched Love Actually, the presents are all wrapped and it's starting to feel a lot like Christmas!
So just in case you suddenly need something new to make, here is one last Christmas recipe before the big day. It was supposed to be with you yesterday but we live in the country and one of the cute little quirks that comes with that is that our internet quite often just decides to stop working. It's so fun!
Anyway, it's a super easy recipe and really, not even something that has to be saved for Christmas. Double chocolate peppermint cookies!
I've taken the chocolate cookie recipe I use for these epic Chocolate Chili Cookies, and subbed in peppermint extract, white chocolate chips and rolled them in crushed candy canes.
They're soft, chewy and deliciously pepperminty and are the perfect Christmas cookie to leave out on a plate for Santa tonight!
Hope everyone's last minute Christmas prep goes well!
Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- 1⅓ cups flour 185g
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 115 g butter softened
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- 5 candy canes roughly chopped
- In a medium sized bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer beat butter and sugars together until fluffy. Add the egg and peppermint extract and combine.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and combine using the lowest speed. Stir in white chocolate chips.
- Chill the dough for a couple of hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper or a Silpat liner and set aside.
- Using a cookie scoop or spoon create balls of dough about 1 ½ tablespoon in size. Roll ball in the chopped candy canes and place on the prepared baking tray about 5cm apart. Flatten slightly with a fork.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until set, checking after 10 minutes. You don't want to overbake the cookies. Let the cookies sit on the baking tray for 5-10 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container for 1 week.