Slow Cooker Chicken Enchiladas with homemade enchilada sauce - the perfect fuss free, delicious Mexican dinner!
Friday!! We've nearly made it through another week, YAY!
Now put on the TV, make yourself a margarita and let dinner (almost) take care of itself. It's the return of the lazy girl with slow cooker chicken enchiladas!! Now is when we go back to that perfect little 5 minute blender enchilada sauce that you all made and turn it into a meal!
Chicken + enchilada sauce, into the slow cooker for a couple of hours. Shred it up, roll up the enchiladas, top with grated cheese and bake. This is a meal you want in your life. Fast, easy and super tasty!
I love this recipe for a week night as it cuts out the step of cooking the chicken when I get home. Plus. I don't know about you guys but I have a weird thing about cutting up raw chicken...gross. I like that I can set it in the slow cooker earlier in the day so that once dinner time rolls around, all that's left to do is assemble the enchiladas, cover them in cheese and let them get gooey in the oven for 20 minutes.
Even better, I like making them completely non-authentic and throwing grated carrot and zucchini into the chicken mixture. You can't taste it, and it's the perfect way to sneak veges into dinner. Plus if I do that, I figure I don't need to serve anything with the enchiladas. All food groups are covered! Except for maybe some garlic bread??!
Serve with a salad and with just a little bit of prep work and pre-planning, dinner can be on the table in 30 minutes!
- 300 grams boneless & skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 cups enchilada sauce jar of bought sauce or 1 batch homemade sauce
- 1 cup grated carrot/zucchini optional
- 6 flour tortillas
- 1 cup grated cheese
- Place chicken in a slow cooker and pour 1 ½ cups of enchilada sauce over, reserving the other ½ cup. Cook on high for 2 ½ hours, or on low for 4 ½ hours or until the chicken is cooked through and falls apart.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Shred the chicken in the slow cooker and mix well with the sauce. Add grated carrot/zucchini if using and combine.
- To assemble the enchiladas, lay out the 6 tortillas side by side in a baking dish so that they are sitting like taco shells, right up against each other. Spoon the chicken mixture evenly into the middle of each tortilla, sprinkle with grated cheese and roll up.
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce on top of the tortilla and top with more grated cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately, garnished with fresh parsley if you're feeling fancy!