Crunchy, sweet but refined sugar free, homemade honey nut granola.
It's no secret how much I am addicted to granola. Hello original version, oh hey peanut butter banana breakfast and haaaaaiii my favourite in the entire world mocha java chocolate-caffeinated morning hit. What, you're a breakfast lover too? Let's be friends.
Mornings are just so hard right? I'm all snug in my bed and then the alarm goes off and I have to get OUT of my bed? No no no. No matter what anyone says, it's not easy. Unless it's Christmas. So I'm all about at least having something delicious to look forward to when I'm out of bed. Other than coffee of course!
Just to be clear let's revisit the reasons you will be excited to make your own granola.
- It is waaaay less expensive than the store bought varieties
- Um, sugar content. I'm no "I watched a movie about how bad sugar is I'm going to quit sugar for life/binges on sugar 2 days later" person but I am a believer in moderation. And knowing how much sugar is in what I am eating. <--This reason. And this one just happens to be free of refined sugar...win!
- You can add all your favourite flavours...nuts, dried fruit, coconut. Whatever floats your boat. It's your blank canvas.
- You will win the breakfast game. When someone asks you what sort of granola that is and you brush it off with a "oh, it's just a homemade one" - full permission to secretly high-five yourself when they're not looking.
This version is the easy peasy, no special ingredients, everyday granola. Oats, nuts and cinnamon make up the base, while honey and coconut oil hold it together and the addition of chopped dates adds a little sweetness. You can use whatever nuts you like/can find buried in the back of your cupboard and even though I use coconut oil, you can use rice bran or any other neutral oil.
It's perfect for this time of year because we have aaaaaall the summer fruit! I load a bowl up with this, a spoonful of Greek yoghurt and cover it in as many berries as I can find. It's a beautiful thing.
Let's eat breakfast!!
Honey Nut Granola
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped almonds
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup dates chopped into small pieces
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- Add rolled oats, cinnamon and nuts to a baking dish and stir to combine
- In a separate jug, mix together the honey, dates and coconut oil. Microwave for about 1 minute until oil and honey are melted and the dates have softened.
- Pour over the dry ingredients and stir thoroughly until the oats are fully coated. Bake at 150 degrees C for 45 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.