Crunchy, full of flavour and chock full of goodness these Cranberry Almond Snack Bars are the perfect healthy snack!
I am officially "that person" who takes their own food on the plane. Gah! Am I 90 years old? No. Do I have 5 children in tow? No. Do I care? Nope! Because I had cranberry almond snack bars to keep me satisfied on the whole. 13. and a half. hour flight. Phew. Side note <--- look how optimistic I was...I 100% ran out of time to make these before we left...other things took priority, you know...packing my bag 2 hours before we left...
Buuuut on the plus side, we're on our honeymoon!! Wheeeeeee!!!
I'm going to keep it brief because as I write this we are 5 days away from going on our trip and I'm currently in the middle of writing out alllll the posts so that even though I'm away, you guys won't know it! I've got all sorts of goodies lined up for you to add a little sunshine to the winter cold...think of me, in 30 degrees+ weather, and don't be too jealous!
Anyway, snack bars. I'm a huge big fan of healthy snacks to take on the go. I'm definitely a grazer so I figure if I'm going to spend most of the day eating, I'd better be putting at least one healthy option in there.
These snack bars are full of all the good things - almonds, cashews, dried cranberries & sunflower seeds. They're held together with honey, peanut butter & a bit of flour and the best part is, they take less than 30 minutes to prepare!
Use the food processor to roughly chop the nuts (if you don't have a food processor you can do this by hand) add all the other ingredients and press really hard into a square or rectangle baking tin. Bake the bars for 12 minutes and refrigerate them before slicing.
Crunchy, full of flavour and chock full of goodness. They're the perfect snack for school lunches, work day snacks or to take on a trip! Just wrap them in gladwrap or put a few in a snaplock bag and you're good to go!
Cranberry Almond Snack Bars
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon (20g) flour
- 2 tablespoon peanut butter (or other nut butter)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 200 grams (about 1 ¼ cups) almonds and cashews
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F and line a 20cm x 20cm (8" x 8") square baking tin with baking paper.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine honey, vanilla, flour, peanut butter and salt.
- Using a food processor roughly chop the almonds and cashews. This can also be done by hand.
- Add the chopped nuts, cranberries and sunflower seeds to the honey mixture and combine using a wooden spoon.
- Tip into the prepared baking tin and using your hands or the back of a spoon press the mixture down very firmly.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until starting to go golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin before putting in the fridge. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until completely cool before carefully removing from the tin and slicing into bars.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container for 1 week, or in the fridge for 10 days.