My version of a classic mojito - my all time favourite cocktail, perfect for summer, holidays or honeymoons! Make one or make a pitcher to serve a crowd!
We are on our honeymoon, so what better way to celebrate being married and on holiday than with a classic mojito!
Everyone has a favourite cocktail right? Well, mine has always and probably will always, be mojitos. The crispness of the mint, the tanginess of the lime and the bubbles. And nothing screams summer vacation like a tropical white rum mojito.
Even Josh likes them...fancy!
There was one point in time where I thought I might have been put off mojitos. I worked in a bar while I was at university and Thursday night was 2 for 1 mojitos. I'm not even exaggerating, but I would have easily made about 50 mojitos during the course of a night. And they're not exactly simple to throw together! Luckily I came through with my love for them still intact. And if that can't break it, nothing can!
So let's be bartenders at home and make get our mojito on!
First up, we need to make the sugar syrup, also known as simple syrup. Probably because it really is so simple to make. Add equal quantities of sugar and water to a pot, bring to the boil and dissolve the sugar and allow to cool before adding to your drink. The sugar syrup can be kept in a jar in the fridge for a week, ready and waiting for cocktail hour!
Next, add a few big mint leaves and 3 or 4 lime wedges to a glass and muddle around using the back of a spoon. Add the sugar syrup and Bacardi , a handful of ice cubes and top up with soda water. I find this to be plenty sweet enough but if you have more of a sweet tooth you can add more sugar syrup to taste, or even make it with lemonade.
It's the perfect cocktail for summer fun or even to drink inside during winter while you have the heater cranked up and looking through Pinterest at potential summer vacay spots.
- Sugar syrup about 1 tablespoon per drink, more if you like them sweeter
- 1-2 limes cut into wedges
- Handful of fresh mint leaves
- 60 mls Bacardi or other white rum
- Soda water
- Ice cubes
To make sugar syrup
- Add equal quantities of sugar and water to a pot on the stove, bring to the boil stirring until the sugar has dissolved and allow to cool before using in your drink. Sugar syrup can be kept in the fridge for 1 week.
To make mojitos
- Add a few mint leaves and 3 or 4 lime wedges to a glass and muddle around using the back of a spoon.
- Add 15mls (1 TBSP) of sugar syrup and 30mls (2 TBSP) Bacardi, a handful of ice cubes and top up with soda water.
- Stir it up and serve!
- You can add more sugar syrup to taste if you need.