The perfect meal for the cooler weather – an autumn harvest roast vege salad with pumpkin, beets, feta, pinenuts & an epic maple orange dressing.
Guysssss guess what?? We have booked our honeymoon! YAY! We fly to Houston, Texas in June for 3 whole weeks! I’m SO excited! We’re going to hire a car and do a ton of driving…it’s going to be awesome! And hot. But mostly awesome. So if anyone has any suggestions of things to do in the Texas/New Orleans/southern states sort of area, let me know!
Knowing we are going to have a 3 week summer soon has made the transition to autumn a whole heap easier and I think a more appropriate name for this would be “we have officially let go of summer and embraced everything that is autumn with this salad salad”
Because that is totally what happened.
Well, sort of. This pumpkin was actually destined for soup. Pumpkiny, maybe a little bit of spice and some coconut creaminess if we’re ok with that and can be on board with me adding coconut milk/cream to everything I eat at the moment? Yes? 😀 Except that it was super summery and hot over the weekend so I really didn’t want to make soup. So I went and raided what is left of my garden, found some beets, spinach leaves, one of the pumpkins from the shed and made a perfectly autumn actual legitimate harvest salad. With things I GREW!! From seeds!!!
The excitement is so real and the levels of maybe needing to get out more have gone through the roof.
But I’m ok with that if it means I get to eat this salad all the time. I’m even pretty happy just looking at it in all its orange and purple glory – autumn colours are my fav!
The pumpkin and beets are drizzled with olive oil and roasted for 30 minutes and then haphazardly (100% because I love that word) thrown on top of spinach leaves and the beetroot greens because we’re being super good and using all the parts of the things we grew, covered in feta, pinenuts and pumpkin seeds and then…oh boy. The dressing.
Adapted from this dressing, it has orange juice, olive oil, maple syrup, balsamic vinegar and all the angels are singing because it’s just perfect.
Drizzle it alll over and just stare at it for a bit. Because we MADE this!
And then eat the whole thing in one go because it’s salad.
Autumn Harvest Roast Vege Salad
- Note - the quantities for the salad are just a guide - use as much or as little as you like.
- 1 small pumpkin deseeded and cut into 1 inch cubes, peeling is optional
- 8 baby beets peeled and cut in half
- Handful of spinach leaves and beet greens
- 100 g feta
- 2 TBSP pinenuts
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 TBSP maple syrup
- 1 TBSP balsamic vinegar
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Spread the prepared pumpkin & beets on a baking sheet lined with baking paper. Drizzle in olive oil and sprinkle with salt and bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through and starting to soften.
- Place spinach leaves and beet greens on a serving platter. If you are going for looks, leave them whole and place them nicely, if going for practicality, chop them and scatter them in a bowl.
- Add the pumpkin, beets and sprinkle the feta, pinenuts and pumpkins seeds over top. Toss together if you like.
- Add all dressing ingredients to a jar, screw the lid on tightly and shake until mixed together. You can also whisk them together in a bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and serve immediately, or refrigerate if you want to serve it cold.
- Store any leftovers in the fridge for 2 days.