White chocolate & macadamia nut cookies...soft cookie perfection!
Did you all have a good Easter? How great are 4 day weekends! But also how much harder is it to get up on Tuesday morning for work! We mucked around at home, visited some friends, ate lots of Easter Eggs & dressed up Sage in Easter bunny ears...hehe. And then, because there wasn't already enough sweetness happening I made cookies!
These cookies have been a long time in the making. They've been one of my favourite kinds of cookies since I first had one when I was about 14. At Subway. Because does anywhere other than Subway make these cookies? Don't answer that question.
I kind of assumed that I could take any old chocolate chip recipe, sub out the chocolate chips for white chocolate & macadamia nuts and we would have a cookie party but. Um. No. That did not happen. Not even a little bit. I mean, all the cookies were good, because, well, they were cookies. But they were all missing that soft squishy pillowy base that just hugs the white chocolate & nuts. You know? Subway style.
It wasn't until I made Lindsay's chocolate chip cookies last week that I knew I had almost found what I was looking for. All they needed was slightly less sugar so that the white chocolate doesn't send you into a sugar coma. Because you know how that white chocolate can be. Which, weirdly I don't even like white chocolate usually. But for some reason when it is in a cookie with buttery macadamia nuts I make an exception. Good decision.
These cookies are light, buttery but not too sweet and they have the perfect level of squishiness to rock your boat without being gooey. The key is to pull them out of the oven the SECOND they start going brown on top. I'm all about cookies that are crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside but not this time. We are 100% team soft cookie today. Trust me on this.
The chocolate buttons & macadamias add a little crunch, perfectly complementing the soft & chewy cookie. It's the definition of a great cookie.
White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies
- 110 grams butter
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups flour 210g
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup macadamia nuts roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup white chocolate chips or roughly chopped buttons
- Microwave the butter until it is almost melted and stir until it is all liquid (you want it to be melted but not hot)
- Add the butter and the sugars to a large bowl and using a stand mixer or hand mixer beat together until combined.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix together on high speed for about 30 seconds until mixture is creamy.
- Add flour, baking soda & salt and mix together on low speed until incorporated.
- Add the macadamia nuts & white chocolate and stir in by hand.
- Shape the dough into 12 balls and place on a lined baking tray.
- Bake at 180 degrees C for 9-11 minutes, removing from the oven as soon as they are starting to go slightly brown on top.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes on the tray and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container for 1 week.