So remember how we won the curry game earlier this week when we made Homemade Yellow Curry Paste? Now it's time to use the curry paste and make the EASIEST fastest and probably most delicious Thai Yellow Chicken Curry you've ever had.
This Thai Yellow Chicken Curry is what easy weeknight meal dreams are made of. Even if you haven't made the curry paste already (here's the recipe, it'll only take an extra 15 minutes!) the whole thing will take you less than an hour to prepare. If you already have the curry paste ready to go, dinner is on the table in 40 minutes. That's what I'm talking about.
The chicken & curry paste go in the frying pan until the chicken is cooked - some people may like to only seal the chicken but I'm a super paranoid freak when it comes to cooking chicken so I cook it to death. Please yourself.
Once the chicken is cooked to your liking (all the way through already pleeeeease!) add coconut milk or cream and a bit of water and let it simmer away for about 20 minutes until the sauce has thickened up and the chicken is totally cooked. <- You're on board with my paranoia by now right?
Now at this point, the curry is good to go and you can serve it right up, however if you feel like being super fancy and a little more authentic I highly recommend adding a little bit of brown sugar and a little bit of fish sauce. They really take this curry to the next level. If you are unfamiliar with fish sauce, don't panic. It doesn't taste like fish at all, it's a staple in Thai & Vietnamese cooking and is pretty much their version of soy sauce. It adds a whole extra layer of awesomeness that nothing else can, so please give it a try! You can buy fish sauce in most mainstream supermarkets now...yay! I use Thai Choice Fish Sauce which I get from Pak'n'Save and it's cheap as chips. And then once you're done you will want to make Rice Paper Rolls with this dipping sauce that also uses fish sauce 🙂
Cook up some Basmati rice to go along with the curry and you have the most comforting bowl of homemade deliciousness that you've ever seen, along with the epic feeling of making homemade curry COMPLETELY from scratch. You are a boss!
- 500 g boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- ⅓ c Thai yellow curry paste*
- 1x 400g tin full fat coconut milk (or coconut cream)**
- ⅓ c water
- 1 TBSP fish sauce
- 1 TBSP brown sugar
- Fresh coriander to garnish
- Heat a medium sized frying pan on a medium heat and add the curry paste, cooking for a couple of minutes until fragrant. Add the chicken and saute for 4-5 minutes. You may need to add a couple of TBSP of water to help the curry paste coat the chicken.
- Pour in the coconut milk and water and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally until the chicken is cooked and the sauce is starting to thicken up. You may need to add more water depending on how thick you want the sauce to be.
- Stir in the fish sauce & brown sugar and serve with rice.