This Mexican Chicken Soup is warm and comforting but is also filling enough for a main meal. Serve with corn chips, sour cream and salsa for the perfect Mexican meal!
My brand new e-book "The Burrito Spice Cookbook" is here! 18 Mexican inspired appetizers and mains that your whole family will love!
So, I never thought soup would be a dinner meal in our house and to be honest, when Josh saw soup on the menu, I genuinely think he might have been somewhat disappointed. And nervous.
But this recipe wouldn't be making it to the blog if he wasn't a fan and Mexican Chicken Soup was not only a winner that night, it's now part of our regular rotation!
Click here to pin this post to your Mexican recipes board on Pinterest to save it for later.
The inspiration for this recipe came while I was folding the neverending mountain of washing on the couch and watching an episode of The Pioneer Woman. She was making a batch of Chicken Tortilla Soup and thanks to the small human growing in my belly, I immediately needed to make and eat it!
I'm pretty sure I was organised enough to already have something planned for that night (I mean, I was folding washing - clearly I was out of ideas) so it went on the menu for the following week. I made it, simplified it and tailored it to Kiwi ingredients and of course my Homemade Burrito Spice Mix and it was EPIC!
This soup has the perfect level of spice, it comes together in just a little over 40 minutes and with everyone being able to add the toppings they like, it's sure to please everyone!
We all loved this recipe so much that I knew it had to be included in my new ebook and shared on here - it's too good to keep quiet!
If you love this recipe, you will love the Burrito Spice E-cookbook!
It's the ultimate collection of recipes that all use Homemade Burrito Spice Mix.
Made this recipe? Tag me on Instagram @thekiwicountrygirl and hashtag it #thekiwicountrygirl.
Mexican Chicken Soup
- 400 grams chicken breasts (boneless & skinless)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons Burrito Spice Mix
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 red pepper (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 x 400 gram tin diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups hot water
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 x 400 gram tin black beans
- Corn chips
- Sour cream
- Grated cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F and line a baking tray with baking paper or a silicone baking mat. Place the chicken breasts on the tray, drizzle with 1 Tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with 1 Tablespoon of the Burrito Spice Mix. Bake for 25-30 minutes until cooked through. Remove from the oven and use 2 forks to shred the chicken. Set aside.
- While the chicken is cooking, place the remaining olive oil into a large saucepan and fry the onion, red or green pepper, garlic and remaining Burrito Spice Mix for 5 minutes over a medium heat. Add all remaining ingredients to the pot and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes until the soup has thickened up. Add the shredded chicken.
- Serve with toppings of choice.