Pizza pizza pizza! Do you know anyone who doesn't like pizza? Me either. Which is good, because that means you will all LOVE today's recipe. Homemade pizza sauce AKA sauce for pasta AKA sauce to put it in a toasted sandwich AKA do whatever you want with it sauce because it is amazing.
I was planning on having little pizzas for lunch today. I'd jut whipped up (YES just whipped up, NO not showing off, PROMISE it's really that easy...10 minutes) some pizza sauce and it was going to be epic. Sunday lunches make the world go round. It was going to be an early lunch because I had my mock exam for dancing (fun fact - I dance!) Anyway, long story short, I was too nervous to eat so skipped on the pizzas but ended up having to make an emergency stop at the supermarket on the way home and inhaling a packet of crackers and a tub of hummus before I had even left the supermarket carpark.
Should have eaten pizza.
So, pizza sauce! No more bought packets or jars, this is the real deal and as promised, it only takes 10 minutes...including the time it is simmering on the stove and you are doing a little dance around the kitchen because MTV is playing Katy Perry vs. Taylor Swift and it's like all your dreams have come true.
Phew. I ramble when I'm sleepy.
Tip: If you like your pizza sauce a little chunky, feel free to use it right off the stove. If you're like me and you don't really like onions, just the flavour they give things and think that pizza sauce should be smooth and dreamy, whizz it up after it has cooked. I used my little food processor but a stick mixer or blender would work too.
Homemade Pizza Sauce
- ½ onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 x 400g tin tomato puree about 1 cup
- 1 x 170g tin tomato paste about ½ cup
- 2 tsp mixed herbs
- Put 1 TBSP oil in a small pot and over a medium heat cook the onion and garlic until the onion is cooked.
- Add tomato puree, tomato paste and mixed herbs, bring to the boil and then simmer for 6-8 minutes on a low heat.
- You can use it as is, or run it through the blender or using a stick mixer to make a smooth paste (what I like to do)
- Use immediately or store in the fridge.