The perfect healthy treat or dessert for 4th of July – mini Greek yoghurt and berry tarts! A simple base, yoghurt filling and colourful berries on top!
Happy 4th of July!! I realise that this is completely irrelevant given the fact that we are in New Zealand and 4th of July means absolutely nothing to us buuuuut let’s keep in mind a few things as we make these mini Greek yoghurt berry tarts.:
1. 2 days ago, we WERE in the United States. I’m still in denial that we aren’t there anymore
2. We spent the last 3 weeks hearing ads, seeing displays and driving past hundreds of pop up fireworks stands in preparation for today
3. I also spent the last 3 weeks eating as many blueberries and raspberries as I could get my hands on and even though we can’t get fresh ones here at the moment, frozen is almost as good so I’m gonna keep eating them
4. I have friends and family in the US who will be celebrating today so if we can celebrate with them from afar, why wouldn’t we?!
5. Um, these tarts are adorable – mini dessert > regular sized dessert
So remembering all of that, and that we sometimes need a healthy little treat that feels super desserty, and that we are really feeling the summer berry vibes even though it’s freezing cold here, and that these treats actually only take 15 minutes to make + a little chilling time…let’s do it!
Dates and cashews go into the food processor because we’re being ridiculously healthy, also known as rebalancing after eating allthefood in every city we visited. Whiz them up into a dough sort of situation and then press the mixture into mini cupcake tins lined with paper cases.
Put them in the fridge or freezer overnight, take them out of the paper cases, spoon them full of Greek yogurt, top with delicious berries and a drizzle of maple syrup if you’re feeling fancy and serve. Share with friends, or eat them all because it’s Monday and why wouldn’t you!
They the perfect little bite sized desserts that will add a little summer to your day.
What more do you need for your 4th of July celebrations? Or just a regular wintery Monday 🙂
4th of July Mini Greek Yoghurt Berry Tarts
- 1/2 cup roasted unsalted cashew nuts (70g)
- 1/2 cup dates about 12
- Greek yoghurt for filling about 1/3 cup
- Blueberries or raspberries for topping
- Add cashews and dates to a food processor and process until the mixture starts to come together in a ball and can be pressed together. The cashews should be pretty finely processed,
- Line a 12 cup mini muffin tin with paper cases.
- Evenly split the date and nut mixture between the tins and using your fingers, press the mixture so that it covers the bottom and goes right up the sides of the paper cases. Put the tin in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight or in the freezer for about 1 hour.
- Remove from the fridge/freezer and carefully peel the paper cases away.
- Fill each tart with greek yoghurt and top with berries.
- Serve immediately.
- * The unfilled tarts will keep in the fridge for 5 days and can be filled and served whenever you need them. Once filled, they won't keep longer than 1 day before they go soft.