If you are after a quick, easy and super impressive dessert, this peach & blueberry galette is just what you need. It’s the perfect way to use up all the delicious end of summer fruit that I can’t seem to stop eating at the moment and looks like a million bucks!
The best thing about a galette is that unlike a pie, there is definitely room for error. They are supposed to look rustic so rough edges are in, and if the worst case scenario happens and your perfectly assembled galette falls onto the floor <— this actually happened – you can patch it back together and it will look as good as new!
Also, there is a way higher filling:pastry ratio than a normal pie, which even though I love a good pie crust, the peach & blueberry filling in this galette is what I’m really interested in.
Making the pastry is super easy. You can definitely use store bought short crust pastry if you want, but try this! I put everything in the food processor so there is no mucking around with cutting the butter into the flour, it forms a ball, you put it in the fridge for a couple of hours and then roll it out. Easy as pie!
Once the pastry is rolled out, fill the middle with the fruit and sugar mixture, fold the edges over, brush a little melted butter on the edges and sprinkle with sugar and bake until golden brown and the fruit is all bubbly and delicious looking!
It’s the perfect transition from summer to autumn dessert, and perfect for someone just getting their feet wet with pie making!
- 175g flour
- 100g butter
- 2 TBSP sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4-5 TBSP ice cold water
- 2 peaches
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 TBSP brown sugar
- 1 TBSP flour
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 10g melted butter to brush on pastry edges
- Raw sugar to sprinkle on top
- Slivered almonds to sprinkle on top
- Combine the flour, butter, sugar and salt in a medium sized bowl or in the bowl of a food processor. Using either a pastry blender or the food processor, cut in the butter until only a few pea sized pieces remain. This will only take a few pulses in the food processor.
- Slowly add the water, 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough just starts to come together in a ball. Take the dough out of the bowl and using your hands on a lightly floured surface, form it into a smooth ball. Flatten the dough into a disc, wrap in gladwrap and place in the fridge for at least an hour or until needed.
- Once the dough has chilled, roll out to a thickness of about 4-5mm and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper or a Silpat liner.
- Pre heat the oven to 180°C.
- Slice the peaches and set aside. Combine the blueberries, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle the blueberry mixture onto the pastry leaving about a 2cm gap around the outside. Arrange the peach slices on top of the blueberries.
- Fold the edges of the pastry in over the fruit. Brush the edges of the pastry with melted butter and sprinkle with raw sugar and slivered almonds.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling.
- Serve immediately with ice-cream or yoghurt.